Piezo pickup for 5 string electric bass

somegeezer

4 Gazillion Rhodium User
I'm wondering what a good piezo pickup to go for would be. The majority of ones I see, seem to be for acoustic, or just regular old 4 stringers. No real range of monies I'm looking at, as I don't have any anyways. =P But I'm just curious as to what options there are if I do end up coming across a diamond mine any time soon. =D

These Graphtech saddles really deliver wonderful Piezo tone. Products & Ordering - Graph Tech
Ultimately you would add a DI of some sort such as the LR Baggs Para DI to give you sonic and tone excellence and control over the naturally brittle Piezo. In my own studio, the Baggs is best hands down. It has better tonal options than say a Sans-Amp Para DI ()for which many bass players use on electric). It is quiet, quiet, quiet.

best of luck,

Much respect and many blessings!

These Graphtech saddles really deliver wonderful Piezo tone. Products*&*Ordering - Graph Tech
Ultimately you would add a DI of some sort such as the LR Baggs Para DI to give you sonic and tone excellence and control over the naturally brittle Piezo. In my own studio, the Baggs is best hands down. It has better tonal options than say a Sans-Amp Para DI ()for which many bass players use on electric). It is quiet, quiet, quiet.

best of luck,

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I'm in England, and they don't have a dealer of that stuff anywhere near me. They also seem to be piezo bridges, rather than just plain pickups. I'm not looking to replace my entire bridge.

They also seem to be piezo bridges, rather than just plain pickups. I'm not looking to replace my entire bridge.

You don't have a choice which is why these are built into bridge saddles (nice saddles as well) Piezo pickups are pressure pickups. They need pressure to create an electrical signal which is what the string tension provides.
Maybe they will ship internationally? BTW..I have seen the saddles only which would allow you to keep your bridge and just replace the saddles.

Best with it!

You don't have a choice which is why these are built into bridge saddles (nice saddles as well) Piezo pickups are pressure pickups. They need pressure to create an electrical signal which is what the string tension provides.
Maybe they will ship internationally? BTW..I have seen the saddles only which would allow you to keep your bridge and just replace the saddles.

Best with it!

I know that, but I was thinking more something I could attach between my bridge pickup and the bridge. Rather than having to completely replace parts. Otherwise, I may as well just go all out and get single string bridges with built in piezos. =P I'm just looking for the bare minimum, least hassle.

Back