pictures

Sjoko,

It's looking great!!!

In the drum area.........the panels over the drums.........what are they and are they moveable?

Regards,

ChrisO :cool:

wow... a lot of really good pics. Gives you a good feel of what your place looks like.

I love the ole 8 track over to the side!! ha!

Looks like a very comfortable place to record at. you're not looking too bad yourself!!

thx

ausrock said:
Sjoko,

It's looking great!!!

In the drum area.........the panels over the drums.........what are they and are they moveable?

Regards,

ChrisO :cool:

The roof of the drum booth is one large hinged panel, a cloth covered diffusion panel filled with 4" of rockwool. Its hinged.
You can lower it to meet with the top of the (hinged) diffusion panels on the sides. If you then put a baffle infront of it, it virtually closes the place off.

The half-round part of the roof onto which the roof panel is hinged is a (very) high volume bass trap split into three sections.
The two slot resonators vary to tighten resonations from toms particularly, and cymbals slightly higher.

In the right corner is another large volume panel with slots of varying width.

The straw panels are fitted to 8" thick chambers filled with rockwool.

The floor is floating on rubber, with 1" high density board, covered with 1/2" thick rubber (recycled car tires).

Tight, precise sound: lower the roof, bring the panels inwards, and a baffle right in front of it.
Huge, fat (but still tight) sound: open everything up
Infinate variations in-between.

Hi sjoko,

Your studio looks awesome.......

Just wondering what can you say about the control 24 board. Do you recomend it?

I really need to get one of those.

Cheers,

Luis.

Hey that rooms looks awesome!!!

It looks just like mine (well, err, the one I see in my dreams when I'm sleeping :=)

You're making us all drool sjoko!

IMHO, what makes that room look so great is the Argosy! I've been trying to make my studio look a bit more professional...hey, perhaps it will make ME a bit more professional! LOL

S

Beautiful pics. we're in the middle of building out a room about the same size and seeing all that wood in your room makes my head spin...(costs)

Could you run down your gear? I think I am seein a Lucid convertor in the rack? If so, how does it compare to the 888?

looks great.
craig

I went to the website, but all it said was

"Is Offline"

I guess all of the 227 people that viewed your post went to the site and over ran it! must be a slow server!

I look forward to seeing it sometime! :rolleyes:

NoFO said:
I went to the website, but all it said was

"Is Offline"

I guess all of the 227 people that viewed your post went to the site and over ran it! must be a slow server!

I look forward to seeing it sometime! :rolleyes:

Oh dear...........it appears that the band, after I spend 4 days editing the bass tracks, note-by-note because it really wasn't up to par, fired their bass player............ who also did their website...... :)
I'll send some of the pics to John, perhaps he'll be kind enough to post them on his site.

hmmm, i would not say that it's working fine now! here is what is on it now-

Dear Friends,
I want to let you know about something very sad that has happened to me. It appears as if the other band mates of TheQWAN have let our first taste with climbing the ladder of success gets to their heads. I’ve been told that I don’t have what it takes to continue with the project. I’ve been told recently that my bass playing isn’t good enough. This is really odd to me because there have been many occasions where the same band members have complemented, congratulated and even given me the MVP award for practices and gigs. Sure, I’ve had a bad night and/or a technical difficulty, but nothing that I think warrants this unfair treatment. Personally I think there are other motivations at work.

The sad thing for me is how much time and effort that I’ve put into this project. I really feel like I’ve carried much more than my weight here. I’ve hosted every practice in my home, stored band gear here and even had to clean up after ever practice too. I’ve shuttled the band gear from gig to gig in my van using my gas. I’ve arranged the majority of our gigs, I’ve done our website, our flyers, our mp3s, videos and DVDs. I’ve researched, configured and built our entire new sound system. For what!!

In my opinion, I’ve done much more to get us where we are today than anyone in the project, yet I’m getting pushed away because they don’t think I’m good enough. I think this is a bunch of bull as we’ve all had our good and bad days in the project.

So you can imagine how disappointed I am and how let down I am by people who I though were my friends. Obviously, imagined money is definitely thicker than friendship for these guys.

As a result I can no longer support this project. In addition, I ask that if you think that this sounds wrong that you reconsider your support of TheQWAN.

Sincerely,

Bryan

OK, i don't know too much about what happened, but ya gotta feel for the guy!

All's fair in Love, war and music, I guess!

Bands..................... sigh..........
and as always there are more sides to one story

LDQ - the Control 24

before I decided to get the C24 I had already worked a lot on Pro Control, and never really liked it a lot, especially as, to get 24 channels ment one master and 2 slaves, with faders very wide apart, so you have to move out of the sweet spot all the time.
Then I worked on the C24 once and was sold. The money - as in over $20k less, helped as well.
As a Pro Tools controller the C24 is great to work with. Its easy to learn, well laid out. After a small learning curve you can work xtremely fast on them.
The monitor section, which apparently had some faults in the early models, performs really well. I opened it all up and everything (including the pre's) is class A components.
The 16 Focusrite pre's are useable. We don't use them, because we're spoiled with Grace's, Precission Audio's, Neve's and Vipre's, but I have used them and they work as they should. For a comparison I'd say they are better then for instance pre's found on Mackie's D8B and the like.
On top of that, there is also a good submixer which is ideal for MIDI / multiple keyboard applications.

Don't expect high quality longthrow P&G faders, but it suits my methods of working well, its fast, has remained trouble free for a year and its exceptional value for money.

Cajonezz - the current setup is Lucid clock, Lucid sample rate converter - one digi888-24, which only works to transmit AES signals from Lucid24/96 to Pro Tools, an ADAT bridge linked to 2 8 channel Lucid converters.
Next month however we'll change to Protools HD with two 192 I/0's and an 8 channel Stagetec mastering converter (157dB!!!!), which we'll run with the Lucid clock and SRC. One of the 8 channel lucids will stay, the other one will be sold (only as they don't go over 48). The Lucid 24/96's are definately staying as well.

Send me the pics if you want me to post them Sjoko, not a problem, I'm currently updating the site anyway.

cheers
JOhn

SORRY FOR THE LATE POST !

Sjoko2,

Great pics, your studio is absolutely beautiful.

Congrats' on the place.

When I saw the Otari 8 I came in my pants!
Is it for show or do you track to it and then send it to digital ?

Sean

Hey Smelly :) Thanks
I do use the Otari, its not just there for show! Its been completely overhauled and has some "mods" in the heads. Sounds good.
I use it to track on if I have things like a string quartet, piano or something like that, also used it recently for a brass section.
Second thing I use it for is more-or-less as an effects processor, like run it in the chain for snare, kick, toms, very hot to get some nice tape saturation. (also with the snare running through a split, with one going to tape, the other direct to disk - so I can line the 'taped' ones up to that at later stage).

Our local stark-raving-mad-professor-gear-not has fitted a different motor and assorted mechanisms, so it runs at 15 or 30 instead of the slower speeds.
He had a couple of wrecked Stevens machines laying about and used components from the Stevens'.
I need to get another 1/2 or 1" 2 track machine, but that will have to wait until the system upgrade I'm planning for March is behind me.

Back