Picture With You - my song

witm8

Hi all,

I've been a 'home recordist' for a while now, previously only using an USB mic, iPad, and Garageband.

Recently I've upgraded to an iMac - Logic Pro X - and Rode NT1-A mic as things were getting a little stagnant - plus I needed to upgrade computers for my job.

This is the first time that I've recorded a song with such a vast array of processing available to me. I started from literally knowing absolutely NOTHING.

I've read posts on forums, watched endless (contradictory) YouTube videos, and subsequently tried my best to get something better than what I usually would 'produce'.

If you would care to have a listen I would be really interested in what someone who knows what they're doing would comment.

Any pointers that I can take away and use on my next song would be highly appreciated. Likewise, anything specific to this song then I'm more than willing to make the necessary alterations and see what happens.

This is a massive massive learning exercise for me, and a road that I'll probably never get to the end of - but if someone points me in the right direction I'm happy to give it a shot.

Thanks chaps

https://soundcloud.com/tim-summers/picture-with-you

Christ - I've just listened to some of the other tracks that people have posted in this thread. :eek: I think the term "Totally out of your depth" springs to mind.

I think it's actually a pretty decent mix. Good balances and a unique dreamy sound. I'd like to hear a bit more "oomph" out of the kick/snare and a bit more clarity overall; but for a first go, it's pretty damn good.

And yes, you are absolutely correct...it's a road you'll never get to the end of. Ha!

Hey man, we all start somewhere and its always a learning process. Your not doing bad at all. If I had to critique your mix I would say it lacks energy...even ballads have energy to some degree. I think part of it is that there is a lot of verb on the vocals...makes me want to lay down and take a nap lol. But I think your on the right track. Keep at it and learn what others say about other people's tracks. It's a never ending process.

I didn't think this was too bad at all.

Very nice singing voice.

I think a mix like this sounds good with a fairly big reverb. But I think you've dialed in a bit too much.

I think you need to turn up the bass. The mix is missing a low end.

The drum samples are probably the weakest thing in the mix. There is no "umph" or pulse to them. The mix needs a little heavier rhythm.

I'll go with the ol "start with bass and kick" again. It's pretty clear this mix added the kick and bass much later in the process. Start over with those two only. Then, for this tune, I'd consider bringing in the vocals third. Get those 3 working together nicely. Then slowly bring in the rest. Of course, between each of those phases, you're going to, you know, mix what's there. EQ, compression, whatever you need to do.

Hi,

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to listen and comment – It’s much less scathing that I thought it was going to be :)

It’s good to hear that it’s not massively wrong, and I always knew that there was going to be things that were ‘off’.

I completely agree what you’ve all said that the drums need some more oomph. I was stuck in traffic last night, and listening to music, and this was one of the things that stood out to me (without seeing these replies). The commercial radio songs, even the slower ballads, had a much sharper beat.

@Bruthish – definitely lacks energy now that it’s been mentioned, and I’ve listened to it again. As for the verb on the vocals – yeah I know. I think that so far I’ve been using it as a ‘security blanket’ to actually hide the sound of my voice. Does that make sense? Some of the earlier stuff that I have I can barely make out the lyrics they’ve got so much verb on them. I kinda shy away and grimace when hearing my voice with no verb. I think that I’ll try a different style next and see what happens. It’s something that I know I do.

@andrusgkiwt – bang on. The kick and bass were the very last thing added !! I had a different beat previous, but I saved the project and when I re-loaded it some warning thing popped up saying something about a timing change, and something had changed. I chose to ‘skip’ – then played the song through and the beat was all over the place come the end. It must have been something to do with some cutting and re-arranging I was trying. I was also messing around trying to ‘pitch flex’ in some harmonies, then due to my lack of knowledge I was ‘time flexing’ things. So I ended up deleting the drum tack all together and starting again right at the end.

I’ve taken on board what you’ve said, and when I get a moment (hopefully later on this evening), I’ll make these changes.

Thanks again all !!!

Back