Pics of drum recording I just did and an idea for you.

Guitargodgt

First off, let me just say that the setup for this recording took a while. When you record drums you can't just go "welp... mics are up let hit record!" No take some time, move the mics around till you get the sound you want.

First is a shot accross the kit. I took a piece of auralex that came with the mopads and put it in the i5 in an attempt to keep the hi hat bleed out of the snare as much as possible. The snare was a nice one, a mapex black panther. Very good snare for the genre and the drummer was smart enough to take my suggestion of putting new heads on all the toms and snare. NEW HEADS ARE IMPORTANT. Old beat up heads suck, they have no sustain and suck to tune. If your drum heads are beat, go replace them. Good uncracked cymbols are also a must for getting pro sounding drum tracks. Beg or borrow, but make sure you got a decent set of cymbols to work with.
l_6810df3a47cd4f6fbf41bd50f066b1c0.jpg

Better shot of i5 with foam thing on it.
l_3997213805ef485a9929b6317d5d5163.jpg

Get the room as "lively" as you can. People listening to music are looking for instruments to have their space. Dead drums have thier place, this was not the sound we wanted though. Try and reduce as much parallel surfaces as possible. If you have a wall parallell to another try to break that up by putting things on the opposite wall to break up the reflections. Also (and this was not the case in my situation) try not to have the drumset in the middle of the room.

l_ab7c47d19129438d92b11b5d63f08973.jpg

Try a room mic, place it anywhere away from the kit. In another room perhaps? How about down a hallway. Just snag yourself some natural reverb. You would be surprised what kind of natural sounds you can pull from a seemingly terrible sounding room.

l_c772a260242c4ba99621fac7fc0bc2e1.jpg

l_d59f60ff9e4641b5a4e993b66ff5692d.jpg

Make a home made subkick:

l_04a729d8e78b4ea891ebed37838411e7.jpg

It's very simple to make, take a speaker (I suggest a 6-8") and some mic cable and solder that thing up. Here is a better pick of the one you see above:

100_0914.jpg

100_0915.jpg

The biggest thing when recording drums is to start at the source. If the drum set sounds like crap, you are not going to end up with exactly that.

Oh and I know someone is going to mention the ripple in the head. Yeah I didn't tune them. However despite this, these drum tracks came out great.

So are you gonna post audio clips?
I bring it up because I'm sure you'll get people talking about the size of the room, the appropriateness of that drum setup for their genre, the effect of the time of day on the sound of the drums, etc...
The proof is in the ear pudding, etc...

That doesn't mean they were not in tune. Jesus, don't go full retard on me. :laughings:

Super raw clip (I am no where near done with this recording), your hearing eq and compression. The ambiance is from the room mic:

No samples yet. I'm going to have to on the kick because although this kick is clicky it just doesn't have the consistency that is needed.

I'll post up something more finished down the road.

Here is the kit dry (well it's panned, but this is how it came in when we recorded).

Man, not trying to be a tough crowd, but it's hard to get a sense of how drums sound unless you have someone who can actually play them. I hear a trashy cymbal on the left and a bunch of other hits that sound as if someone randomly connected drum sounds to a keyboard and started typing.

I think the kik sounds OK, though, but not hearing it in the context of a drum set being PLAYED, who knows. Snare sounds deep, but I'm not sure if it would cut through a mix in that recording. The one time I hear what I think is a hi-hat, they sound small and cheap. The toms seem to sound alright, but not to be repetitive, it's hard to tell in that context.

Yeah this is a band I'm tracking right now. There stuff is pretty complicated to say the least. Doesn't just bash along in the traditional rock 4/4 time sig. This song in particular jumped around in some uncommon time signatures (9/4, 7/4 etc...).

The drums make sense with the rest of the instruments, if I remember I'll post something a tad more finalized in a week or so when things are not so rough.

That doesn't mean they were not in tune. Jesus, don't go full retard on me. :laughings:

Super raw clip (I am no where near done with this recording), your hearing eq and compression. The ambiance is from the room mic:

No samples yet. I'm going to have to on the kick because although this kick is clicky it just doesn't have the consistency that is needed.

I'll post up something more finished down the road.

Well, bro, I don't mean to go full retard here, but that's pretty fucking terrible. What the fuck did you use for a kick drum? Two cue balls banging together? :laughings: :laughings:

Getting better. The click on the kick drum is too much and very silly sounding. Get some kick body in there. I know clicky kicks are par for the course in this genre, but yours is just too much. the snare is boxy and "donky". It needs more attack and presence. Play with some compression on that bad boy.

What the fuck did you use for a kick drum? Two cue balls banging together? :laughings: :laughings:

A kick drum, 2 metal beaters, equarian superkick 2 head, D6 and homemade subkick. ;)

An seriously in my defense you guys are hearing incredibly unmixed/unedited stuff.

A kick drum, 2 metal beaters, equarian superkick 2 head, D6 and homemade subkick. ;)

An seriously in my defense you guys are hearing incredibly unmixed/unedited stuff.

Well then give us something that you think sounds good instead of posting up a bunch of bad sounding unfinished shit. :D

And either your EQ work is bad, or that subkick aint working, because there's no low end power in your kick drum.

Just out of curiosity, when you wired up your subkick, did you wire up the pos to the neg and neg to pos?
I found I had to do that AND run an inline pad to decrease the signal a tad.

And to leaningpine...the speaker doesn't make a lot of difference, although I wouldn't use a ripped up pile o shit....all you're really lookin for is the signal made when the air from the reso head pushes the speakers cone. That creates the signal that ya mix underneath the kick.

Do search of DIY subkicks and you'll see what I mean.
:drunk:

Back