pics from last weekend's recording

Meshuggah

recorded our band last weekend.. good ol' live in rehearsal-room stylee. Only vox were made afterwards...

http://hem.tyfon.net/wa0043/images/mix1.jpg

what you see is..

Kick - Shure Beta91 (no pic)
Snare - Shure Beta57
Tom1 - Shure SM57
Tom2 - Line Audio CM2
OH1&2 - Oktava MC012 Hypercard caps

Bass - Rode NT1

Guitars 1&2 - Shure SM57

Vocals - Shure Beta57

Signal path:
Mic - Midas Venice 320 - Alesis HD24
Kick had a Behinger Composer (MDX2000) inserted

Results can be heard at www.vattollon.com

That's a cool little collage. I listened to the song "anthem" and I have to say it doesn't sound quite as good as it looks.:eek:

hmm.

It looks like you are cross firing those OH mics. That can cause problems sometimes, because the on axis sound has more amplitude, making it apear louder in one channel, but it has time of arrival problems because the sound it is "aimed" at arrives to it after the other channel's mic. This causes the brain to hear one channel louder, but later, which can cause wierd sounds, esp. with cymbals due to the high frequencys. Try it more coincident, but if you like the sound that you are alredy getting then keep it.

Hehe, Jake, and thx :)

Johnalex.. I might be my english, but I don't see what you mean with your post..

I usually (well.. always) use XY overheads.. I think it gives you a better stereo image. It's hard to get a 'wide' drumkit, but I don't like that anyway..

Meshuggah said:
Hehe, Jake, and thx :)

Johnalex.. I might be my english, but I don't see what you mean with your post..

I usually (well.. always) use XY overheads.. I think it gives you a better stereo image. It's hard to get a 'wide' drumkit, but I don't like that anyway..

sorry man didn't mean to bust out with the acoustical physics. hey if the recording sounds good then it sounds good! keep having fun.

Back