Picoloo toms And Picoloo Snares

Drummer706

AOD AND SANCTIFIED
Hey fellow drummers and musicians, I am thinking of buy a Picoloo snare but I have never had one. Can any 1 help me out? Has any 1 had any good or bad experiences with them?? I really need some help with this. Well that's all thanx for your help!!

i have a piccolo aluminum pearl snare and its ok. if i were to get another one i'd get maple. i find the metal ones to sound too loose

Piccolo snare's are typically used in a concert or hard rock/metal suituation.
They can be extremey lound when tuned correctly, and because they're so thin, the sound doesn't echo as much in the shell.

I have a couple of Piccollo snares 3x13 maple & 3x13 steel - in addition to several wood and steel snares in the standard 5 1/2 x 14 or 6 x 14.

My 3 x 13 maple is my favorite - and I've had more comments on the sound than anyother drum. A guitar player recently saw me playing and insisted I give him the model number of my drum. The next time I saw his band, his drummer had one (the guitar player "strongly suggested" for the drummer to buy one), but now it is that drummers favorite axe.

Thanx

hey thanx guys for all your answers and replies. Keep sending them i am thinking of buying a pearl picoolo snare!

I personally can't stand the snares, I prefer 5"x14" snares....anything smaller always sounds really "papery" to me.

Tim

I have a Pearl brass 14 x 3.5". It's loud and bright and will cut through ANYTHING. That's one reason why I don't use it too often. I prefer the fat, warm sound of my 14 x 6.5" maple.

Re: Thanx

Drummer706 said:
hey thanx guys for all your answers and replies. Keep sending them i am thinking of buying a pearl picoolo snare!

I have a 3x13 Pearl brass piccolo and it's real nice..it's a good sounding piccolo - particularly for the price!

I use it as an auxilliary snare - I have it set up to my left side. It's definitely a 'specialty' type of sound that I wouldn't want to use as my normal snare. Having said that, it's great for certain situations.

I've always found it very fast and easy to dial in a "good" sound with a piccolo. The one's I have owned/played seemed like they were incapable of producing a bad tone. I really like the sound of a very shallow snare tuned a little lower than normal. Also, in my experiences, piccolos transfer their sound to tape very well.

letterq,

You hit it right on the head. Piccolo snares are relatively easy to get a good sound - and you can tune them down to get a sharp attack with some depth. And yes they do seem to record well.

I never rellay thought about it that much but you hit it head on.

Back