pickups

pinkerchook

I am thinking of installing some new pickups in my Elitist 61 SG<Epiphone>. I was just wondering what the dc resistance and the mv out put means. I was looking at the Dimarzio humbucker from hell and Dimarzio Breed. Would these hurt my amp, pedals or guitar? I don't know what k my pots are on the sg. Can you slam just any passive humbucker in your axe and not fry anything?

A humbucker will NOT hurt any of your gear. Or, more accurately, any manufacturer who made a piece of gear which would not work with half the guitars on the market (roughly) would be extremely stupid. Since none of these guys are, it won't.

Don't worry about it.

As for pots, 250k is typical for single coils, 500k for humbuckers. This does NOT mean that this is a requirement. Either value will work just fine for any passive pickup. Some Teles even use 1Meg pots. Higher values tend to be brighter, lower values warmer (hence the common values, a brighter pot to help with the mushiness of a humbucker, and a warmer pot to help with the shrillness of a single coil).

Higher resistance means a higher output pickup, but lower resistance gives you a more even frequency response. Different gauges of pickup coil wire give you different resonant peaks in your pickup, meaning that the peaks and dips common to high output pickups will be different, even for the same output impedance (which can be determined by multiplying DC resistance by 1.25, which is why we measure DC resistance, which aside from its relationship to impedance is meaningless). If you look at low impedance pickups, such as Bartolinis, they use very few windings on their pickups, which leads to the very even frequency response. They don't drive a tube amp right though, if you ask me. But if you want a high fidelity sound (and if you play rock, you DON"T) you go with a low impedance pickup.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Email DiMarzzio directly, I did and the tech their was very helpful. Let him know as best you can what type of sound you are trying to get close to. He bascially warned me against a certain setup saying that it would be muddy as hell.
I have a set of Breeds on my Ibanez Jem, they have a very unique sound - amazing for lead (especially the neck pups). The sustain is not great which is better if you are playing neoclassical 'shred'. Some people liken them to Evolutions but there is absolutely no comparison, Evo's are a lot hotter and brighter. Depending on the style of music I use Breeds for recording lead parts but do all of my rhythm tracks using a Prestige customised with EMG's (81/85).

can i hi jack? i understand the tone deal with the values, i.e. 250 warmer 1 meg brighter.
what puzzles me is...
1) Is this only for the tone pot?

2) How does it effect the deal if you put a 500k vol with a 250k tone, and vice verse? Does it brighten the tone, or does it have zero effect on it?

3) Do you solder your caps from the middle lug on the tone pot straight to ground (tone pot housing) or i have seen it soldered to the vol pot lug and then a lead to ground?

sorry to hi jack but i thought it relevant in this line of questions

lesterpaul said:
i understand the tone deal with the values, i.e. 250 warmer 1 meg brighter.
what puzzles me is...
1) Is this only for the tone pot?

No, this is for volume primarily, and also for tone.

The issue, you see, is that even when they are turned all the way up, they still bleed a small amount of signal to ground. The lower the value of the pot, the more bleed. High end frequencies being, as they are, the most delicate, they get bled off first.

lesterpaul said:
2) How does it effect the deal if you put a 500k vol with a 250k tone, and vice verse? Does it brighten the tone, or does it have zero effect on it?

The volume pot has the greatest effect. Mix and match as you desire, and use whatever you like.

lesterpaul said:
3) Do you solder your caps from the middle lug on the tone pot straight to ground (tone pot housing) or i have seen it soldered to the vol pot lug and then a lead to ground?

You need to have a cap between the volume pot and ground. Where in the path it comes is not important.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back