Pickup Tape? String Dampening?

gvarko

I am confused about a few items I have seen on guitars recently. The first is on the Dime guitar shown in the attachment. There is what appears to be electrical tape on the edges of the neck pickup. I have seen this on other guitars Randy Rhodes and others are playing. What is that exactly and what does it do? In most cases it half covers the outside pole.

The other thing I see on guitars is on the headstock, just past the nut. It looks like a big square of metal that perhaps dampens the strings? I have seen some metal players with this installed. What are they and what do they do?

Attachments

• Dime.jpg
    Dime.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 81
that black tape could be for shoddy pickup screws, whenever i played in hardcore bands i'd always find myself having to tighten the pickup at the end of the night because it would get rattled loose throughout the night

David Katauskas said:
I read that this is to prevent the strings from binding on the edge of the pickup when using the tremlo during a complete push-down.

Bingo.... ;)

On the nut thing....are you just talking about behind the nut? Some guitars use a string retainer or string tree to increase the string angle off the nut.

Not a locking nut

mshilarious said:
Big square of metal? Perhaps a locking nut? Used to keep strings in pitch when using a trem.

The ones I have seen sit behind that, looks like perhaps applying light pressure to the strings? I will see if I can find a pic.

Also with the tape thing, some people also do that to avoid snagging the string on the pickup during errant bends or when you just accidentally pull the string off the neck. If that has ever happened to you you'd know what I mean.

I'd say it's definately to keep the string from getting caught under the lip on the pickup. The other is a string tree. it's used to keep good preasure on the nut. it's a heavy duty version of what fender uses on the e+b and sometimes g+d. if it is set correctly, it keeps the guitar in tune when you lock the nut down.

Back