Pickup cover DIY change?

daav

Flailing up a storm.
Hey all,
I recently ebayed myself a classic 57 pickup and in the pics i swear it looked gold, but turns out to be chrome. I am going to stick it in my black les paul studio, which has all gold hardware including the new tuners i just put in it.

At first i was saying to myself that i would jsut mis and match and i am not hung up on appearance, but it appears that the gold pickup cover is just soldered on. Does anyone know if it is a matter of desoldering that, removing the gold cover from the stock pickup, and then resoldering to the new one? Any chance i can really damage either of the the pickups?

I am moderately skilled with soldering, enough to complete a monte allum mod recently anyway.

Daav

Hey all,
I recently ebayed myself a classic 57 pickup and in the pics i swear it looked gold, but turns out to be chrome. I am going to stick it in my black les paul studio, which has all gold hardware including the new tuners i just put in it.

At first i was saying to myself that i would jsut mis and match and i am not hung up on appearance, but it appears that the gold pickup cover is just soldered on. Does anyone know if it is a matter of desoldering that, removing the gold cover from the stock pickup, and then resoldering to the new one? Any chance i can really damage either of the the pickups?

I am moderately skilled with soldering, enough to complete a monte allum mod recently anyway.

Daav

The covers on humbuckers are usually attached with a couple of solder blobs between the cover and the base. You can easily remove it by melting the solder and wicking or soldersucking it away, and attaching the gold cover shouldn't be too difficult. Just keep the solder tip away from the coils.

Back