Picked up A New RAMSA WR-8616 console

mrT

I just got this for what I believe to be a "steal" on ebay.

RAMSA WR-8616 console

The guy told me that all the channels and meters and everything esle work with no problems! (we'll see) But I'm willing to trust him for the momment.

The point of my post however, is to see if any of you guys know anything about or where I could find out anything about this mixer. I've searched the internet and am coming up pretty blank. Anything is appreciated.

You won't find much info on them. They are old, and weren't terribly popular.

Generally, they are pretty good live consoles. I worked for a sound company that had a few of them, and overall, I didn't have complaints. Sound quality wise, they were "smoothish" sounding like the Soundcrafts of the time. Better sounding than the Yamaha PM series by a long shot!

I always liked the consoles with dual XLR inputs. When I mixed festivals, it was a LOT easier to backline and setup the next band when you had two set's of mics to work with!

Ford Van said:
You won't find much info on them. They are old, and weren't terribly popular.

Generally, they are pretty good live consoles. I worked for a sound company that had a few of them, and overall, I didn't have complaints. Sound quality wise, they were "smoothish" sounding like the Soundcrafts of the time. Better sounding than the Yamaha PM series by a long shot!

I always liked the consoles with dual XLR inputs. When I mixed festivals, it was a LOT easier to backline and setup the next band when you had two set's of mics to work with!

If you can still remember... how'd the pre's stack up to say a mixwiz or a onyx or anything really? Although for $8.13/channel I'm sure I won't complain.

The pre's are just fine.

Preamp's are overrated mostly! In the "cheap" range, they are all about the same. Indeed, they won't compare to a high end Midas console! But, they compare favorably to any other console with a similar feature set.

My experience with the older Ramsa especially is that the preamps roll off pretyt early at both ends. You won't get a rich low frequency or an extended high frequency. They aren't bad, but I would prefer the newer breed of preamps. The EQ however I like better than most newer budget consoles. like Ford Van said though... certainly no Midas. Then again, neither is the cost. The self noise and crosstalk of the Ramsa stuff is what I would be the most worried about.

Hmmmmmmmm..I never detected a "early rolloff" of the lows and or highs. I have heard some HUGE low end go through these consoles! Maybe the system you worked on had insufficient subs! ;)

Ford Van said:
Hmmmmmmmm..I never detected a "early rolloff" of the lows and or highs. I have heard some HUGE low end go through these consoles! Maybe the system you worked on had insufficient subs! ;)

That is always a possibility. I have just noticed that they are "tilted" towards midrange and definately do not have the high frequency extension that newer preamps seem to have. That is whay a lot of people found the Ramsa consoles to be a bit "mucky" sounding which is also why in the pro audio world they did not hang around long and partly why they are so darned cheap now. I am not trying to say that they are worthless or really bad or anything, just that those are the characteristics of them. Maybe I did have insufficient subs, but I highly doubt it. Next time I have my turbosound rig out I will run over and grab my friends ramsa and set it up against somehting small and easy to switch like a newer 01v96 which has a pretty neutral sound to it. There is no way that the Turbosound subs are "insufficient" with the Turbo amps and the 21" subs.

Just picked this up today. It has some scatchey pots from being a "Classic" but other than that it's 100%. Sounds better than the VLZ pro's IMO. For what I paid it was an awesome deal. :)

Ramsa WR 8616 Manual

Hey there,

Just scanned in my old manual and made a PDF file.

You can download from my site "Studio139.webs.com" on the download page

Search for Ramsa WR8616 manual on google should get there.

Can't post link here till I've had 5 posts!!

Hope this helps, Mike

not sure if he's even around anymore... the thread is almost 2yrs old... suggest you check the dates when you search for old threads...

Back