Pick Up The Stars (Demo)

After writing what I felt were rather slow and dull songs, I decided to take the risk and try writing a rock song. Nothing hard rock, but more pop/rock, I supopse. I never really branched into rock in general because I never felt I could do it, so this is really nothing more than an attempt to write a "single," if you will. It's still a very basic demo, and the lyrics will be replaced, as it's nothing more than me making stuff up (I don't even know what the title means), and the vocals will definitely be redone (and vocals like mine should not be singing a rock track, even I know that), but this is just a basic start with me doing everything that you hear on the track. So why post it? Well, I am definitely curious on feedback about the song itself. Is it good, is it horrible, does it have potential? If so, what would you do?

Thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

http://download.yousendit.com/bVlBUGhSbEFoMlVLSkE9PQ

it's beatle esq. i wouldn't really consider this a rocker, but that doesn't really matter. i'm listening as i type this and it totally sounds like a beatles song. i'm gonna guess you plugged in your guitar instead of micing an amp. if you can mic an amp and get good tone i think that sounds better for distorted guitars. as far the mix goes vocals are bit loud for my taste and the guitar lacks any presense. What's wrong with the lyrics btw? i think the melody is fine and its got a memorable chorus.

it's beatle esq. i wouldn't really consider this a rocker, but that doesn't really matter. i'm listening as i type this and it totally sounds like a beatles song. i'm gonna guess you plugged in your guitar instead of micing an amp. if you can mic an amp and get good tone i think that sounds better for distorted guitars. as far the mix goes vocals are bit loud for my taste and the guitar lacks any presense. What's wrong with the lyrics btw? i think the melody is fine and its got a memorable chorus.

Thanks, greyharmonix! I appreciate that. Although I had to laugh when you commented on how Beatlesque it is, because I get that a lot and, ironically, the entire purpose of that song was to NOT sound like them! :D But I appreciate it, nonetheless, and you're right about the guitar lacking any presence. The entire thing was done on Logic Pro 8, including all the instruments, so that might explain a few things, but it did bug me too. As for the lyrics, I think I was never comfortable with them because it doesn't have this set structure or story. It's just me coming up with random lines at every verse, so that's probably why.

Either way, thanks! :D

Hi Matthew - I have to agree with greyharmonix that the style is very
Beatle-esque to me as well. I think the song has tons of potential and is very "feel good" in my opinion. I keep hearing songs that I visualize hearing in a movie, and this is another one. I like the form, lyrics, melody. It's all good. Once you get the instruments where you want them to be, I'm sure it's going to be a great song!

Thanks for sharing!

Jen

Hi Matthew - I have to agree with greyharmonix that the style is very
Beatle-esque to me as well. I think the song has tons of potential and is very "feel good" in my opinion. I keep hearing songs that I visualize hearing in a movie, and this is another one. I like the form, lyrics, melody. It's all good. Once you get the instruments where you want them to be, I'm sure it's going to be a great song!

Thanks for sharing!

Jen

Hi Jen,

Was just able to see this, right now. Thanks for the positive review! And it is interesting how you mention the lyrics. Based on these reviews, maybe I won't have to worry about them nearly as much as I thought.

Thanks again! Much appreciated!

Back