Piano Pop - Big Harmonies - 100% Sugar Coated

Out-damn-standing song. Reminds me of the best 60's/70's power pop - Badfinger, Beatles. And XTC. The harmonies are really well done - very precise in both timing and pitch. I like the radio effect well enough in the beginning, but there's some harshness right at the start that I'd EQ out. The first "...say to you" sort of hurt my ears. I'd also ditch the scratchy noise at the end of the song. Otherwise sounds great.

Sounds pretty damn good to me. The only things I felt needed a slight attention was the kick to give it a bit more Boomph but that's me nit-piking.

Great song, performance and capture. Really enjoyed it. :thumbs up:

Out-damn-standing song. Reminds me of the best 60's/70's power pop - Badfinger, Beatles. And XTC. The harmonies are really well done - very precise in both timing and pitch. I like the radio effect well enough in the beginning, but there's some harshness right at the start that I'd EQ out. The first "...say to you" sort of hurt my ears. I'd also ditch the scratchy noise at the end of the song. Otherwise sounds great.

Perfect analogies! Comparing this song to 60s/70s Badfinger, Beatles, and XTC is just about the highest compliment I could receive, so thank you. The similarities are entirely intentional, I assure you.

Believe it or not, I've been working on this song for 3 and a half years. I seriously feel like a huge weight has been lifted now that it is essentially "done" and I feel happy with it. After I get some more feedback and tweak the mix based on what you all say, I can call this 42 month project complete.

Seriously outstanding. You captured that production style perfectly, including the writing style of the song itself. Nice work.

Very cool song! I don't have much experience with this type of music, but reminds me a little bit of the stuff I've heard from the band "Jellyfish". Anyways, lots of great lyrics and chord changes in there. Production is great too.

Dang, this is pretty freaking good. Maybe the lead vocal could come down just a tiny bit. But that's just the MOAR GUITAR in me talking. Honestly it stands pretty damn well as it is. Nice job.

The low end in my listening room is really bad right now so I can't really say. Nothing really stood out to me, it sounded pretty balanced (all things considered in this room).

No, the balance is good. I've heard worse on the radio. I've honestly heard a lot worse on amazon. I think they'll allow anything if you pay for the space. :D

Dude! It's groovy man...

Trying to put my finger on who, what it reminds me of back there in that place and space in time(Nilson, Badfinger, Rundgren ????).....but it is a very cool tune and extremely well recorded....

I agree the first time radio effect needs a little touch. Bring the upper high end down just a tad (and that is subjective). Everything else is really high quality.

Nice little tune you have there.

You should visit more often and help in the clinic, you obviously have the ear.

To the fine gent who PM'd me, the drums are a mix of a kit from Reason along with a Steven Slate kit. Which ones, I truly can't remember as it's been a good year since I settled on them. The pianos are from the Reason Abbey Road set (the Challen) and the Reason Pianos 24 library. The flutes are both stock Reason sounds. The only things that are live are the vocals and slide guitar. Everything else was done in the box. I use Reaper, Waves plugins, and Isotope Ozone and Alloy. Vox were recorded through a Rode NT1 and ART ProChannel. I mix through my Sennheiser HD 280 Pros (yes, I mix through headphones - shame on me!).

I was impressed with your ability to give a human feel to your midi drums. I wouldn't mind a little more Paul McCartney (low-end bass) in your mix.

I really liked the singing. The harmony vocals were very nice.

Piano and drums sound good.

I think the mix could use a little stronger low end. It's just a wee bit light.

Just a personal preference, but I'm not a huge fan of fake crackles or AM radio voice. I could see using the thinned out voice thing on the little break in the middle. But the other stuff gets a bit old.

But overall, very well done.

Love the song. Vocals and harmonies are superb. I also dig the production, absolutely beautiful. Congratulations.

Very well done. Great song, great arrangement, great mix. Reminds me of the Beatles or Paul McCartney right off the bat. Awesome.

Exceptional, Evan. Production. Performance. Content. Delivery. Everything firing wonderfully on all pistons. You are truly done w/ this. It cannot be made better.

As an aside, I used the needle on record sound to end my album "Retrospectful" ... likely for the same sentimental reason you employed it. You were going for that retro sound, and you nailed the vibe.

Back