Phosphorescent

The vocal reverb does tend to leap out after louder phrases, perhaps a shorter tail might be more suitable? Although I think it actually works quite well in other places.
I don't really like the snare sound, it's got an odd ringing sound to it, and no real body.
There is too much kick in the mix, and it's not quite sounding right either. It sounds like it's a dynamic mic like an sm57 in the sound-hole of the rear skin, which is being flattened as it's not built to tolerate quite such huge diaphragm movement. If that is actually what you did, try putting the mic either further away from the kick drum/sound-hole.

I'm brand new to recording, so I don't think I can help you much, but I liked the guitar sound. What reverb were you using on the vocals?

WafflePong, I'm pretty sure it was Logic's AVerb. Can't remember exactly, this was a while ago, but I think that is it.

woop! my ears aren't playing tricks on me.

Um, yes it's possible. The easiest way is usually to just aim to get mostly beater-click on the 57, and also use it in the side chain of a gate on an oscillator. That way, you can get a really deep and low sound from the oscillator set around 60-80hz or whatever you fancy, and the gate opens when the 57 picks up the beater. See what I mean?
Altenatively, try moving the 57 just further away from the hole, 2 inches in from the hole's edge and 2 inches away from the surface of the drum skin if you're going to mic from outside is usually a useful starting point.

I will try that next time I am near a drum set. That oscillator thing is a great idea, thanks! totally never would have thought of that.

Either that or I suppose I can stop being so cheap and just buy a nice kick mic...

Back