Phasing when recording DI & miked simultaneously

I would definitely time align them. Manually is easy enough.

If I planned to pan them apart, I would start with them panned center, listen to whatever I considered the primary one, add the other one and slide one (probably the mic) around until muting/unmuting one had the least effect. Then I would pan as desired.

If I planned on just combining them panned the same, I would just make it sound good.

If I ever have two or more tracks that are the same, i tend to pan them apart. I never check any more for mono compatibility so the splitting apart things has been my normal procedure for ages, but i cant say i can remember when i had phasing issues?

I use DI only as a way to reamp when they bring in crappy amps to record and not use the ones I spent time cleaning up. Micing their stack has never been an issue, but there are quite a few guitar cab setups that sound boring when you go record them. Also, sometimes the guitar player's eq choices are wrong for the mix even though "its their tone'.

But Phase issues caught before recording can be fixed quickly with mic position. Takes I usually just slide the recording in the project than pan it.

Here's someting involving mics at different distances, all for a single vocal and no DI'd instruments involved. Not exactly the situation referred to in this thread, but I'm sure phasing is involved, just not worried about as the reverberation probably masked it. I originally heard about this as I listened to a program on NPR discussing Bowie's studio techniques.

Last edited:
Do you use any plugin(s) to correct phasing, or just slide a track over to align them? Or. . you don't get enough phasing to worry about?
I use Waves InPhase - but really I don't often get phasing of anything - sometimes when I do the Front and Back of an amp - but I don’t do amps that
much if at all anymore.

I have done it and when I pan hard left and right I had no perceptible delay or phase issues. My only issue is that acoustic DI doesn't sound very good.

Back