phase reverse

fuquam

My mixer does not have phase reverse on it nor does my software (Logic Pro). Does anyone know another way to reverse phase. I think I'm having a polarity issue with my drum recordings.
Thanks.

fuquam said:
My mixer does not have phase reverse on it nor does my software (Logic Pro). Does anyone know another way to reverse phase. I think I'm having a polarity issue with my drum recordings.
Thanks.

take an XLR cable and flip the 2 and 3 pins. only on one end that is...

In software, you would be better off just adjusting one of the audio tracks a bit in the timeline to make the relative polarity line up.

phase reverse is in logic pro. just go to your inserts - logic - helper - gain...it's under the gain plug in and is called phase invert. it basically has no cpu loss also.

Wow thanks. I didn't know it was in Logic. I'll try that. Should I reverse phase on both overheads or on the snare because thats where the conflict is I beleive? Anyone else have this problem with Phase between snare and overheads?

How can you manually adjust it? Am I looking to line up the spikes?

Thanks for the link to the Shure gadget? I never knew those existed. I'll have to hunt one down. Or two depending on the answer to question 1.

fuquam said:
Anyone else have this problem with Phase between snare and overheads?

yes, that can happen. It can be between snare and overheads or the two overheads themselves. It all depends on where the mics are positioned.

you physically move the wave file on the track. yes, the easiest way to do it is to find similar transients (snare hit) and line OHs and snare up to that.

adjusting the tracks works great if it's just a simple time delay. however, sometimes you may need to ALSO flip the polarity of the channel itself. It's not very common, but it can happen.
Remember, flipping the polarity or phase of a track only flips the 180 degrees in the complex plane. This may HELP the problem, but not always 100% fix it.

fuquam said:
Wow thanks. I didn't know it was in Logic. I'll try that. Should I reverse phase on both overheads or on the snare because thats where the conflict is I beleive? Anyone else have this problem with Phase between snare and overheads?

Thanks for the link to the Shure gadget? I never knew those existed. I'll have to hunt one down. Or two depending on the answer to question 1.
here's the way I look at this,

there's two groups of mics

Group 1 - Negative Pulse
Group 2 - Positive Pulse

Group 1 consist of Overheads, Batter side (tom, snare, kick)

Group 2 consist of bottoms (Toms, Snare, Kick inside)

Pick a Group and Phase Invert all of them.

Next, using the overheads as the reference, time align everything to the overheads by shifting.

Just for general info: If anyone else needs to do this and their DAW's software does not do phase reversal, the free vst Paris EQ has phase inversion.

Phasing issues

Hi kids,

when I overdub a zillion violin parts, I get the obligatory phasing problems. I know why, but is there anything I can do to minimize this?? :confused:

fuquam said:
Never had a problem with phasing between snare and OHs.
I would probably reverse the phase on the snare, as your OHs could sound different if you reverse the phase on them.

Eck

DavidK said:
Hi kids,

when I overdub a zillion violin parts, I get the obligatory phasing problems. I know why, but is there anything I can do to minimize this?? :confused:
Don't stand in the same place for every overdub. Maybe use a couple two mics and do every overdub in a different place in the stereo field.

Uh, has anyone noticed that in this thread the op (and some others) have mixed time alignment and polarity as having the same meaning?
:rolleyes:

DavidK said:
Hi kids,

I curious, what is it that leads you to say it's a phase problem?
Asked a different way- Isn't the point of a whole bunch of layers to have sort of a 'chorus sound?

Thank You!

mixsit said:
Uh, has anyone noticed that in this thread the op (and some others) have mixed time alignment and polarity as having the same meaning?

I'm glad you said something, because I was beginning to think I was crazy... that works if you're trying to align ONE frequency, but it'll throw the rest off...!

And as to the question of "what gets phase-aligned with what"... I don't know that there are a lot of hard and fast rules here. Maybe my mic placement just sucks, but I've discovered on more than one occasion that to get the best snare sound, I actually have to reverse the TOP snare mic. Play around with all the phasing and see what sounds good, IMO.

mixsit said:

are you speaking in regards to the old "phase switch" = "polarity switch"?
or just saying people are confusing physically moving the track in time with a polarity switch?

hopefully I have not done the latter, because you are right. Physically moving the track in time can help with phase issues when dealing with two microphones that are at different distances from the source. A polarity switch is only going to flip the signal 180 degrees, which is only really ideal in cases like a top and bottom snare. Which brings me to what johnny5dm mentioned...on how reversing the phase (flipping the polarity switch) of the top microphone makes the snare sound better. This is exactly what you SHOULD do. Since the top and bottom mic are facing two opposite directions, there will be a 180 degree phase difference between the two.

mixsit said:
I often write phase invert for polarity probably because I don't think about it when I'm writing. If someone writes Reverse Phase or Phase Invert I know what their referring to without hesitation.

I hope my post was clear, but maybe Polarity Invert would have been a better choice of words.

Last edited:
I don't mind so much the interchangability of the phrases "polarity inversion" and "phase inversion", though technically the latter is incorrect.

But where the confusion comes in is when somebody thinks that adjusting track placement on the timeline to try and adjust phase can result in an inversion. In the real world it can't. The only time that'll work is with a periodic, symmetric, linear (and noise-free, BTW) signal such as a pure sine wave or triangle wave. But with a non-linear, asymmetric, non periodic, noisy wave form - like a real life recording of real instruemnt such as a drum being hit by a human being - phase or polarity inversion cannot be attained by a simple linear slide in time.

While sometimes it may be possible to mitigate or lessen the problems caused by inverted waves by thowing them out of time phase on the timeline, it's usually cleaner and more natural-sounding to just flip the polarity switch instead.

G.

Back