Phase Question

KaraokeKancer

When soundwaves combine, they have to be in phase with eachother to sound good. I'm understanding that, but my question is do they have to be in phase with eachother at the point of combination? Also when they combine, assuming you have two different frequencies, isn't there going to be some point where they are out of phase with eachother? Can anyone help me understand this any better? I'm understanding that this is a very important, but basic aspect of this whole deal. I have cerebral palsy so type slow. :( :( :confused:

When you have two different frequencies mixing together, they do cancel at certain points. If you are tuning a guitar, when you get two strings close to in tune with each other, you will hear a warbling. That is what that is. Where it cancels is the beat frequency. This is what makes harmonies sound like they do. The farther the notes are apart, the higher the beat frequency.

To answer your first question: Yes they have to be in phase with each other at the point of combination. That is the only place they can be in phase.

Thankyou

That's what I was thinking. I appreciate your comment and the guitar example was a dead-on way to explain it. I think I'll take off the helmet for a bit. ;)

KaraokeKancer said:
When soundwaves combine, they have to be in phase with eachother to sound good.
You're talking about the same sound or different sounds?
..do they have to be in phase with each other at the point of combination?
That would be at what ever point in space you (or the mic) are hearing it.
Also when they combine, assuming you have two different frequencies isn't there going to be some point where they are out of phase with each other?
Now we're talking about the same sound from two different times... Not if they both arrive (at that point) at the same time. At any other point (or point in time) where they arrive at unequal times, some will be in, some out.
:)
Wayne

Back