Phase question, but wait - mine is UNIQUE !

alanfc2

I am special ! :rolleyes:

regarding Phase, atleast I think...

I have 2 medium gain heavy guitar parts, human doubles not clones. Split 85% L/R. Part of a big rock mix. I was getting this irritating ringing somewhere in the mix and tracked it down to these two guitars. I put an EQ on the pair and started sweeping around and killed the bad tone. It was like the sound of the ocean coming through the telephone, sort of in its own space kind of up in the air to the left.

I've read all about phase prob's in the past but I thought it was related to different mic's on the same source and the same performance. In my case it was the same mic and amp settings, guitar, player (me), but different performances.

So I've I found the offending frequency and have cut it (around 3000 -something). But, I want some of the life back into the parts. My EQ cut on both tracks may be too hasty, but at the moment thats how I'm solving it. Is this phase problem I'm hearing? Or a buildup of nasties?

So I ask here about alternative solutions:

a. time shift one of the runs left or right
b. phase invert one run left or right
c. EQ one side differently from the other.

I know I should have changed amp settings or guitar for the second run, I might do that I mean that would be easy. But of these three solutions I have, which will be the best in terms of Mono compatibilty? The Phase invert option worries me for this.

thanks

Go ahead and try all of your solutions. If you eq each side differently, you might end up with a lob-side mix, be careful.
If you are still left with that sound, it must be just a build up. If you take away 3k, add some 6k to liven it back up.

thanks guys-
So by definition, my issue would not be phasing then would it, since its not two mics on the same source. ?

OK thanks

I just went home and solved this

took the EQ off the pair, put it on the left side track only, goosed the left side level, all fine now... :D

Back