Phantom Question

Skip Ellis

I'm not an equipment newbie but am new to home recording and the use of condenser mics and phantom power. For the moment, I have a Yamaha MG8/2fx mixer which has phantom power for condenser mics but is universal, in that it sends the 48v to all channels. Can I mix types of mics when the phantom power is on? If I have a condenser mic in one channel, can I still use a dynamic mic (an SM57, say) without endangering it?

Hi there,

If I have a condenser mic in one channel, can I still use a dynamic mic (an SM57, say) without endangering it?

Yes, absolutely. Dynamic mics will not care if they're exposed to phantom power.
There are always stories about old ribbon mics being damaged by phantom power.
Maybe consult the manual or reliable online sources if you're planning to use ribbon mics.

It's good practice to turn off phantom power and allow a reasonable cool down period before plugging/unplugging any mic.

The other place to be careful is the unlikely event that you're plugging in some kind of unbalanced source (say an MP3 player or something) via adaptors into the XLR. That sort of thing definitely doesn't like Phantom...but it's bad practice to plug things in that way anyhow.

However, as Steenamaroo says, if you stick to dynamic mics with balanced XLR outputs, no problem at all. I'll second his advice about turning things off before plugging/unplugging. You probably won't damage anything but there is likely to be a gawdawful pop/thump on your monitors.

People are overly worried about phantom power IMHO.
Yes, a miswired or seriously unbalanced 48V feed might damage a feeble old ribbon but such mics cost $0000s as a rule so you are unlikely to have one to plug into a "prosumer" spook juice device?

Peeps worry about damaging the mixer/AI/ di da? Not going to happen. Even if you shorted both pins 2 and 3 all to pin 1 only a modest 14mA would flow producing a coruscating 0.66watts! And that ONLY if the mixer etc could supply the current, many budget ones can't.

As Bob says, the bang is to be avoided as is plugging in gear other than mics and stuff designed for the power. Most inputs/outputs are only protected (if at all!) to the limit of the internal supply rails and they are hardly EVER 48 volts!

Dave.

Back