phantom power mic directly to soundcard

Pedro

Hi,

I have a soundblaster live soundcard and would like to connect the AKG c3000 mic to it directly (i.e. without going through a mixer). (I plan to buy a mixer later, but money is a bit tight now).

Is this possible. From what I know the akg c3000 needs phantom power. Can I buy an external phantom power supply? What else might I need?

Thanks

Peter

You will definately need phantom power for the C3000 and yes you could do this with a phantom power supply... HOWEVER, there won't be enough juice coming out of your mic to enable you to go staight into the line out of your soundcard. So basically the choices are either a mixer (which you don't wanna do yet) or a pre-amp. I don't know what kind of budget you are on but www.8thstreet.com have an ART tube MP pre-amp for $109. This will not only give you a pre-amp that will make your mic sound really nice, it is also provides phantom power for th mic - pretty sweet huh?

Good luck!!

Hi,

My soundcard has a mic in as well as a line in. I am able to record sound using the microphone that shipped with the computer (small grey low-quality) using the the mic in.

Will the c3000 leave less output and therefore require a pre-amp?

Have you got any idea how much a phantom power supply without a pre-amp would cost?

Thanks

Peter

Back