phantom power & dynamics

jdalziel

hey all, simple question, would it be bad for a dynamic mic, such as a sm57 and audix D6, to be hooked in to a mixer with phantom power on for condesers? i dont want to find out the hard way. thanks

jdalziel said:
hey all, simple question, would it be bad for a dynamic mic, such as a sm57 and audix D6, to be hooked in to a mixer with phantom power on for condesers? i dont want to find out the hard way. thanks

Yes, that is fine.

I haven't killed a dynamic mic yet with phantom power.
The guy that does sound for my band uses a board with global phantom power so all of the xlr inputs have 48v when switched on. He needs the phantom power for a few of the condensers he uses on the drums and it hasn't hurt his 57's and 58's. I have heard that it can damage cheaper mics but that might be just one of those urban legends.

It can pay to be careful about plugging and unplugging though - basic rule is to have phantom off when changing any connections. You shouldn't have any trouble though!

Yup, the reason for the name phantom-power, is that it is completely "invisible" for dynamic, and ribbon mics! However when connecting, phantom should be off, both with condensers (might cause trouble with the transformer after 20+ years) and dynamics(might theoretically shortcut, but it never happens)

Ribbons will be wrecked when temporarely loaded with phantom on one of either + or -, so be very carefull that phantom is of when plugging/unplugging ribbons.

Back