Perhaps it's about time...

Synkrotron

that I gave you the opportunity to have a laugh at some of my recent attempts at tracking/mixing. I reallise that this is probably the wrong place but I'm just following suit...

Anyways, I did some stuff last week for a band that are helping me to develop my skills (and they get a cheap demo in the process).

The-Energy

The two tracks I did last week are called Fair Havana and Sort It Out. We did three tracks altogether and they wanted to go away that evening with a CD containing a rough mix of each song. For that reason I asked them not to put them out on the internet and only let mums, dads, brothers, sisters, uncles and aunts listen to it but for some reason they must have been happy with the results to put them onto their MySpace website.

I should point out a few things... My studio is ina garage conversion measuring 10' x 8' and I can't get a proper drum kit in there or indeed any guitar amps and the like. The band is a four piece so there were five of us altogether in that small space :D So, the drum kit is an electronic one based on the Alesis DM5 brain and a load of triggers that I made myself. The drummer, IMO, did a great jog considering cos the hi-hat, for a starters it crap (gotta pay over £400 for a proper electronic hi-hat). Also, the guitarist is DI'd for practical reasons... bearing that in mind I reckon they (and perhaps even me) did a great job).

OK... bring on the laughter lol

andy

only two things I didn't particularlly agree with: I think the vocals were a bit reverb heavy. I've heard that sound before on some old punk band (ei:the damned, youth brigade) but I think there was just a little too much on there, still, made the overall sound a wee bit muddy. And the other thing is just that I would bring the drums up bit.

You'll probably end up disregarding these comments once I say this: I'm listening on laptop speakers right now, so anything sounds muddy. Overall, I liked it though. Good job.

Cult_Status02 said:
only two things I didn't particularlly agree with: I think the vocals were a bit reverb heavy. I've heard that sound before on some old punk band (ei:the damned, youth brigade) but I think there was just a little too much on there, still, made the overall sound a wee bit muddy. And the other thing is just that I would bring the drums up bit.

You'll probably end up disregarding these comments once I say this: I'm listening on laptop speakers right now, so anything sounds muddy. Overall, I liked it though. Good job.

Thanks dood :D

Yeah... definitely too much reverb on the vocals... totally agree. I need to get back to those tracks and spend some proper time on them. I had less then 15 minutes per track to come up with a rough mix before burning off 4 audio cd's for the band... they insisted lol. Once I got the levels right the drums should be OK. I tried a stereo widening plugin for the single guitar so I need to mess with that a bit more to.

Sure was fun though. This particular band hates putting one track at a time down and rather play as a live band. Not the way I'm used to working but I can certainly see the merits of that.

Thanks again

andy

Fair Havana leans a little hard to the right. The guitar tone isn't my favorite, I think it's possible to do better DI tones.

Other than that I thought it was alright.

mshilarious said:
Fair Havana leans a little hard to the right. The guitar tone isn't my favorite, I think it's possible to do better DI tones.

Other than that I thought it was alright.

Thanks dood;)

yeah, I think the right side leaning comes from the fact that I need to spend more time with the single guitar part. I didn't want to leave it dead centre so I offset it slightly and added a widening effect (one of those free voxengo ones) but didn't do a good enough job on it.

Thanks again for listening and thanks for the comments.

andy

I must admit that I didn't quite get the response I'd have liked here but hey... I'll get over it. I reallise that I'm still quite new around these parts (I did register some time back but remained inactive).

Latest on this is that I've been playing a bit more with the mix and I've got the drummer who played on these tracks popping round to help me tweek things a bit.

I'll post the latest MP3's onto my own webspace which will suit those who have issues with MySpace.

Cheers for now :)

andy

Back