performing live

Hep D MC

i've performed at a few hiphop shows around seattle, LA, and NYC, but whenever i see videos of my performance im never satisfied. sound wise i am, but not with my performance as a whole. i always look awkward on stage with my movements/facial expression. ne one have tips on putting on a good live show? doesnt have to relate to rapping, but just in general.

To some degree a live show is limited to what you as a person feel comfortable doing. That being said, if there are performers that you think have the stage moves you desire, study them. Practise in front of a mirror - yeah I know that sounds stupid, but it works. Or better yet, practise in front of a video recorder. If you have friends who you think are good dancers, ask them to help you develop some basic moves

Confidence on stage and the comfort to move normally do not come naturally to most people and does require some practise - but if that's what you think you need to improce your act, work on it and you may be surprised at how quickly you can adapt.

i think confidence is the most important thing here. i was at a coldplay gig about a week ago, and some of the things that Chris Martin was doing on stage were frankly mental :D but he did them really big and bold and didn't lose face halfway through or whatever.

when i've performed, i think the most comfortable i've Felt is when i didn't actually think about what i was doing at all really. i normally play trombone/guitar, so it's a bit different, but i think your body naturally wants to move when you play, and i think you'll do some things naturally, if you just lose yourself a bit.

i don't know if that helped.

Andy

this same thing happened to me, im an emcce too, and when i would watch my performance tapes back, i was letdown.
it felt like i was killing shit on stage, but that wasnt the case.
you just gotta learn to let go and not give a shit about what the people in the audiance are thinking. perform like you do in your living-room when you finish writting something. the more energy you give out, the more the crowd will.
it takes time to get comfertable on stage. ive probably performed 30 or 40 times
(some poetry slams, some hip-hop shows) its still not completely natural, but its better. leave everything on stage man. its funner that way anyway.

.peace.

also, when you first walk onto stage, talk to the audiance for a second, joke around before you start performing, this helps break the ice for me.

Back