Performing Live & Streaming With a Midi-Controller

derekp

I'm in the process of beginning to stream live performances, but I'm a little unsure on how to make it work in my situation. What I'd like to do is do my vocals through the mic, while also playing my music through my DAW (Reason) and speaker monitors. Would it be best to get a USB conference mic that picks up sound from any direction? In one avenue that I'm looking at it, Street Jelly, OBS is only useable for Pro users or something with more experience on the platform, so that's out.

What are my options? Thanks for any advice.

Are you intending to use the Street Jelly platform/site? That comment confused me.

Is there too much latency to have your voice (mic) and MIDI go through the DAW together? If you can do that, you can pipe that into OBS and sync the video with the audio there. Then send the OBS output/mix wherever you want.

Sorry I confused you. Yes, planning to use Street Jelly to practice some sessions, then live stream in other venues also.

See that's the thing. If I record a performance, just on my own, no streaming, I do record through the DAW and then add the audio to OBS. But with Street Jelly, they don't allow OBS to be used with a normal account. It uses WebRTC, so it's basically one mic and a webcam. I don't think it's possible to do anything else.

My quick look at WebRTC doesn't preclude using another input device for audio, so it seems like if you can route the output of the DAW to appear as an input device that should work. It may be something in the DAW's routing software, or some external piece of software. Here's a video from 2020 that shows how to do that. (I didn't watch the whole thing - I'm a Mac guy, so this is not relevant to me, and I haven't live streamed in a year - I used OBS for that.) I suspect there's a newer version of this, and I would search for something specific to the DAW you are using.

So I downloaded the Voxengo VST and paid to have it converted to 64 bit like the video suggested. Definitely helped in terms of running the DAW sounds through OBS. I still say there's no way to run it through StreetJelly, though. StreetJelly doesn't give you a URL and Access Code for streaming. The WebRTC software just starts up, so there's no way to do it until they get the OBS added to accounts. YouTube and Bandcamp it is for now.

So I downloaded the Voxengo VST and paid to have it converted to 64 bit like the video suggested. Definitely helped in terms of running the DAW sounds through OBS. I still say there's no way to run it through StreetJelly, though. StreetJelly doesn't give you a URL and Access Code for streaming. The WebRTC software just starts up, so there's no way to do it until they get the OBS added to accounts. YouTube and Bandcamp it is for now.
Well... Street Jelly/WebRTC *has* to be using "something" in your computer's hardware settings that is seen as an input device. I would look at the audio/system settings to find out what is the default "microphone" and set that to your DAW's output. WebRTC should pick that up, or at least I'd think so.

Back