performance mode

Elle

I was just wondering how others deal with the sound degradation when in performance mode vs. patch mode when recording using sound modules, (Roland JV1010). I record the patch in audio instead of midi to get around it, but it is anoying. Just wondering what everyone else does.
Thanks

I'm wondering what degradation you're talking about. I bought a XV5050 recently and haven't used performance mode yet so I don't know what sort of problems to expect.

Well your module can probably handle x amount of effects on x amount of channels playing at the same time. JV1010 can only have effects per 1 channel at a time in performance mode. So, only one channel has a sound that sounds the same in patch mode.

Ocuh, I have the JV1010 for three years now and he is permanentely in performance mode, so I never noticed any difference. When that's true what you say, I feel like an idiot.

I did know that due that several sounds are layered, the polytonality of 64 voices isn't assured. For example, when you use 4 sound at the same time that each use 2 voices (like a nylon guitar and it's fret noise f.e.) you only got 16 voices left.

You can easily test what your missing by playing each sound in patch mode then push the button to performance . Some patchs don't sound any different at all. Then again, some sound like sh-. It's the effects on the patch, reverb filters, ect. that are missing, but what a huge difference. The JV1010 can only have effects on 1 channel. Don't feel bad, Roland's more expensive modules and keyboards aren't much better.

Back