perfect tiny mobile recorder?? Could this work?

Lorddiagram

I was checking out the iRiver iHp-120, which is a 20gig MP3 player similar to the iPOD, but this one records in MP3 or WAV and has optical inputs.

I am wondering if there is a battery powered preamp with optical out that I could use with the iRiver iHP-120 for a perfect small 2-track recorder? I could use it for field recording and then import it in to my DAW via its usb port. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
lD

The Nomad is a tried and true choice among tapers. An early negative review that's still on the net scared people away from it, but either it was wrong or the problems were fixed in the firmware updates. The internal A/D conversion is very serviceable, but the mic pre is horrendous.

See Yahoo group called NJBTapers for all the info you should need.

See Core-Sound website for some good info comparing several popular battery powerable preamp + D/A converter options.

optical

What about a pre with SPDIF out and thena M-Audio CO2 convertor?

I think this little device would be perfect for nature/field recording.

lD

Re: optical

Lorddiagram said:
What about a pre with SPDIF out and thena M-Audio CO2 convertor?

I think this little device would be perfect for nature/field recording.

lD

I haven't used the CO2, but there is some chatter out there about it being unreliable, limited tolerances or something, so you may wish to check that out. I use the Radio Shack equivalent, which is only about $15. It has worked fine for me based on my ears, but I've never done a bit comparison.

TexRoadkill said:

Because it wouldn't seem like a thing to do on an little media device. There could be some power issues even with the preamp he's talking about on a lil device like that. But I am not expert...

"" Because it wouldn't seem like a thing to do on an little media device. There could be some power issues even with the preamp he's talking about on a lil device like that. But I am not expert...""

Son, (magic)

Its basically nothing more than a portable, 16 hour battery powered, 20gig harddrive with optical in.

lD

The Edirol UA-5 would probably fit the bill. It is not battery powered, but takes 9VDC so you should be able to fashion a solution easily enough.

Again, the sites I metioned in my first reply above have the information you are looking for.

Re: using the line in?

Lorddiagram said:
Anyone have experience with a little pre that will then go to the units 1/8 stereo line in?

Thanks lD

Yes, huge improvement over built-in pre. But (a) you can do better still by using external ADC as well and (b) those units are great for the stealth-type mics they're made for, but you need adaptors for an XLR mic and then they won't supply phantom power (if they did in the first place -- usually just plug-in power).

Most solid state class B pres draw very little power, so go to an RV store or site and buy a riding mower or motorcycle battery, a DC to AC convertor (about $40), and a trickle charger for the battery. Using that setup, you can run any preamp off the battery for hours. I use this setup with a DMP-3 into a Korg PXR4, and it works just fine.-Richie

Back