perfect picture

I think you should decrease the delay time on the vocals when doubling them. I hear a little phase effect, not sure if you wanted it there or...

I like the tune, not not the tone of the drum kit tho. Maybe a little bit of padding with organ or EP would enhance this song more. Just my opinion.

AL

Im still learning vocal recording so im in no position etc etc. But like someone else said theres a delay between the lead vocals and when you deliver words fast you lose clarity. But I don't hear any out of tuneness. I like the groove alot. Your overall sound is real good.

Man am i frustrated. CJ--I do appreciate your honest feedback once again. Do you have any suggestions for me on how I can reduce room echos? After my previous post that got hammered for disgusting room sound, I went to home depot and engineered an elaborate pvc pipe vocal booth that i can throw blankets over to reduce room sound. Apparently its not working.

As for the vocal delays, those are not effects--those are the vocal performances; I cannot change them. Not a big deal, however, b/c it sounds like I will be re-recording them.

I think at some point I will just give these guys the beat and tell them to go to a real studio. Damn.

Once again, thanks for all your input.

Matt

something that immediately springs to mind is that you might be far miking.

Pull that mic to within 6 inches or less of the singer.

What daw are you using?

I agree that the vocal sound should be more upfront sounding...the music too, for some reason. Ditch the verb, I guess...
Nice music bed.

Having the vocalist sing closer to the mic is a great idea. Let me try that...

Thanks for the compliments on the track. :)

Let me start by saying the song itself is superb! Please do not give up on recording it! You can get a great vocal sound. Mic up real close and use the bass rolloff switch on the mic (if it has one) to help with the proximity effect). Do absolutely anything you can to eliminate the room. Blankets, carpet, mattresses, whatever it takes. Also, you could try a little expansion with a gentle release just below your softest vocal sounds to help with the room sound. Also, with regards to the vocal performance, try to throw it down a little more. Attack the mic. If you don't, you won't catch an untrained listener as easily. Above all, pleases do not give up! The song was wonderful!

The only other thing I could add to these comments is it seems like the different vocals had quite a few syncing issues. It seemed like the "room problem" was made worse by the different voices not hitting their parts at the same time and not ending words at the same time.

Listen closely to the beginings and endings of words. You'll hopefully be able to hear what I'm talking about. I think, however, that the vocalist(s) had really nice strong voices.

Listening on headphones, but I thought the bass had an incredible sound. Really liked that. Not sure what it would sound like on a good set of speakers - might be kind of boomy.

Back