people in "electronic" bands

tylerxxx

help me get started setting up a rack/live rig.

currently i just have my desktop and a firepod.

i've heard of people using firepods to send each track to a seperate channel, allowing you to add certain effects for certain things, etc. so i'm thinking i'll do that, but what else should i get? compressors? preamps? what would give me the best sound possible in a live situation?

sorry if this is a stupid question, or if it is asked too often...

hi,

i'm the sound-guy for a dutch electropoppunk band called Matik ( www.matik.nl )
and what we do is send the beats out separatly from all the synths into 2 stems mixes so that i can adjust them with eq to the room of the venue. And that's about it.. everything else is done with vst(i) plugs in ableton. (except for some fx sounds which are sometimes routed through a akai filter.

But i have to say that they have a vocalist, bass player (switches between bass guitar and nord lead) and a guitarist so everything comes to my mixer separately. so i can make adjustments if needed.

everytime i see a band/act doing electronic stuff and they mix it themselves on stage the sound is usually totally crap because they don't hear what the audience is hearing. So it's handy to send separate stuff so the FOH guy can do his stuff. one piece of advice is to have your own soundguy because electronic music is lot harder to mix than rock bands. that's because most FOH mixers don't know the songs and the context. I wouldn't bother with getting extra stuff so you can process it on stage just make it sound good within the mix in the studio.

The only addition to a soundcard/midi-keyboard/laptop combo that would make your life a lot easier if your planning on splitting stuff up in stems, would be a multichannel D.I. rack with a labelled xlr multicable attached to it. A lot of venues don't have more than 3 or 4 d.i. at hand and your rig wil be a lot easier to set up for the P.A. guys.

hope this 3 'o clock in the morning rant is helpfull in any way.....

greetings,

Thomas

Back