Peel Sessions

tvanveen

Does anyone have technical details on how Peel Sessions were recorded?

I only own 2 of them, (The Smiths and Screaming Blue Messiahs) but think they both sound great, very raw and immediate.

tv

Not sure, but I have Peel sessions of Venom and Napalm Death, and Raw and Immediate about sums it up. LIke a super high quality garage recording. Gotta love it!!!

I actually read an interview a few years back with the engineer who recorded the peel session for Nirvana that ended up on Incesticide. I'll see if I can dig it up and post any good info.

Hehe most of my recordings are "peel sessions"
At least thats what my bass player tells me...

Of course he couldn't really explain to me what they were...
Now I know... Kind of, not really.

I guess most people in the US have never heard of John Peel. He's a legendary DJ in England though. He actually came to the US for a period in the early 60's and did some broadcasting in Texas, before returning to the UK and getting in on the ground floor of BBC Radio 1, where he stayed until his death a month ago.

Over the past 35 years he has stayed at the cutting edge of popular music of all genres, breaking and championing countless unheard-of bands. He was instrumental to the popularization of reggae in the UK in the 60's and 70's, and the development of English ska. Then there's the story of how he gave a young David Bowie money from his own pocket to help finance a demo in the late 60's. In the 80's he was behind pre-grunge bands like the Jesus and Mary Chain -- one of many bands who have CD compilations of "Peel Sessions" recorded for his program.

More recently he's continued to play cutting edge drum n bass, techno, ambient, etc. 3 nights a week in his prime-time BBC slot as well as once a week for BBC World Service. Pretty cool for an old man!

I think that without exaggeration he was the single most important DJ in the world.

You can listen to some mp3 tributes at the link above. Also, tonight (Dec 16) is a special tribute concert which will be broadcast live on the internet, with some big-name live acts:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/alt/johnpeel/keepitpeel.shtml

Back