Peavey Valveking 212

Superhuman

Shagaholic
Anyone got any expereince with one of these? I have the opportunity to get one for good money at the moment but I want to know whether I'm wasting my time or not before I go driving across the other side of the city. It's an all tube amp that is supposed to be very versatile and can also deliver 'kick ass heavy tones' (which is what I want). 100 wats is way more than I need but the price is good, however... I don't want to have to really crank the volume to get the 'tube tone'. Think bedroom levels. Yay or nay?

Anyone got any expereince with one of these? I have the opportunity to get one for good money at the moment but I want to know whether I'm wasting my time or not before I go driving across the other side of the city. It's an all tube amp that is supposed to be very versatile and can also deliver 'kick ass heavy tones' (which is what I want). 100 wats is way more than I need but the price is good, however... I don't want to have to really crank the volume to get the 'tube tone'. Think bedroom levels. Yay or nay?
I have no experience with the Valveking.
But 100Watts all tube...for bedroom levels??

Why not buy the 1x12 version with 50 watts. (which is still ridiculously loud, I'm sure) It's cheaper as well. And lighter for that matter.

My amp which is 15 watts, is "bedroom level" at like notch 2. So yeah. 100Watts sounds excessive.

My opinion.

Well, the only reason I'm looking at a 100 wat tube amp is because this one is for sale second hand locally at an attractive price. I don't mind once you can keep the volume down at bedroom level and still get good tone. I can always let it rip when I play with the drummer and for recording when the wife and kids are out.
I've played 100 wat amps before (I own a 100 watt Marshall) and some have been fine at lower volumes but I played a 200 watt Fender tube amp before and the lowest possible volume on the dial was ridiculous - actually too loud to bear in the same room without ear defenders. All I really care is that it still plays and sounds good at lower levels - I will let it rip at times allright but I usually only play and record late at night when everyones sleeping and there is only so loud my treated room can handle before the noise leaks out.

Well, the only reason I'm looking at a 100 wat tube amp is because this one is for sale second hand locally at an attractive price. I don't mind once you can keep the volume down at bedroom level and still get good tone. I can always let it rip when I play with the drummer and for recording when the wife and kids are out.
I've played 100 wat amps before (I own a 100 watt Marshall) and some have been fine at lower volumes but I played a 200 watt Fender tube amp before and the lowest possible volume on the dial was ridiculous - actually too loud to bear in the same room without ear defenders. All I really care is that it still plays and sounds good at lower levels - I will let it rip at times allright but I usually only play and record late at night when everyones sleeping and there is only so loud my treated room can handle before the noise leaks out.
Alright. Makes sense.

Well then, I haven't played the amp. So yeah, sorry. I've heard it sounds good. but at what levels? no idea.

I think you'll just have to go play it and see. I've got an all tube 100 watt combo and with gain controls plus separate volumes on the channel and the master section, I can get real nice tones at bedroom levels.

So it can be done. I just don't know if it can be done to your satisfaction with the amp you're looking at...

Its a good amp stock, but a wonderful amp with new speakers. I have a ValveKing 112 with an Eminence Texas Blues speaker in it. Sounds wonderful, especially recorded--nice and thick (thats what she said).

You should definitely pick it up... but replace the speakers with something else. You usually can't go wrong with the Vintage 30s... :)

I wouldn't say that it delivers "kick ass" anything, but it is fairly decent at several things. You will notice an improvement if you change the speakers. The stock speakers are absolute ass. Its definitely not an amp for playing at bedroom levels. The tubes on mine don't start to open up until the volume is at the 10-11 o'clock position, which is almost enough to overpower my drummer. IMO, if you already have a 100 watt tube combo that you are happy with, I'd say pass, unless you are picking it up for a steal.

I also have a 112 Valveking and it is a good amp for the money. I changed out the stock tubes and put in a set of JJ's and replaced the speaker with a Eminence Texas Heat and it really made a huge difference in sound. I play in a Southern Rock band and my amp along with my Gibson Explorer can get a great Skynyrd sound and any other sound of that genre. When I played a 2x12 VK I thought the speakers sounded a little better than the 1X12. But to each his own in the sound arena. Im waiting to try out the new tube VYPYR, Im hearing some awesome reviews. I have owned Peavey amp's since the early 70's and still own my Peavey Classic. Peavey builds good equipment so in my opinion whether or not you have another amp, Id buy the thing if the price is right and it works well..

Danny B

Back