Peavey PV 14 USB vs. LEM RD 122 FX Mixer

GaragemRecords

Hello everyone!

First time poster so go easy on me :P

So I've recently started playing regularly with some friends of mine. As of now we're two guitarists, one bassist and one drummer. We are starting to get some material recorded, but we need a mixer; we can no longer use our old LEM 82, the drummer's brother took it away with him.

So we started looking around and now we are trying to decide between the Peavey PV 14 USB and the LEM RD 122 FX. We've worked with the LEM once and we liked the results, but the Peavey has got more channels and we found a better price on it.

We came to the conclusion that we're gonna need about 8-10 XLR inputs: the drummer has a kit with 8 mic drums (though he might not use them all), the guitarists will be using one mic each, one for the bassist's amp and probably one for a possible lead singer.

Is the Peavey one comparable to the LEM? Which in your opinion is the best? Thanks in advance, we could really use yourhelp here.

Cheers!

(I'm posting this thread on the Equipment section of the forum too, I'm not sure of where should I post this)

Not sure what you're trying to do, but the Peavey mixer only sends the mixed down stereo stream via USB, and the other one isn't an interface at all, as far as I can tell. You're probably better off buying an actual 8-channel interface and mixing in the box.

We're gonna use the mixers to send the signal to a computer, where we will be using recording software.

We're recording ourselves playing live. We mic everything, connect mics to mixer, mixer to pc, and then we record it.

We have done this with the LEM 82 and a USB adapter. With the Peavey we don't need the adapater which I believe degrades the overall sound quality.

As dgatwood stated the peavy only sends 2 signals to the PC so you wont be able to remix anything but over all levels.

Are you planning on using the board to mix onstage monitors, if so the sound you may hear live may not sound the same when recording.

If you are going to just use the board to record, then with pratice you might get a decent mix.

Nope, we'll just be using the mixer to record.

But we're not into the one instrument at a time recording process, then using separate tracks for each instrument and then put them all together, no, we wanna play together and record what we are playing.

Basically, live setting without the audience, stage, and all that jazz. Just the five of us in the garage playing, and recording our stuff. That's what we are doing.

And we need a new mixer :P We're stuck deciding between the LEM RD 122 and the Peavey PV14USB.

And we need a new mixer :P

If your not planning on mixing to on stage monitors, then why do you need a mixer.

You could just get a Firewire A/D interface, connect all the mics to that and then you can set levels via the PC.

I did a little search on the LEM 122, didn't fine a whole lot, it doesn't seem to have USB, so you would have to use RCA out's if it has them, or route the channels to AUX out's, then to the PC sound card, which most folks don't suggest.

You could just get a 2 channel A/D like M-Audio with 2 condenser mic and set them up in ORTF, around 8 to 10 feet away,

Firstly, we wan't to use the PC as little as possible. And we're already used to working with a mixer connected to the PC, and we got really amazing results, despite having low budget gear.

Now that we have to chance to get something better, we wanna know what is the best mixer for us.

I know you're trying to be helpful, and I'm sorry if I sound stupid or arrogant, but we just wanna know if the Peavey PV 14 mixer sucks or not :P Cause we more or less know that the LEM one is good.

Thanks anyway!

We have done this with the LEM 82 and a USB adapter. With the Peavey we don't need the adapater which I believe degrades the overall sound quality.

thats not necessarily true. the audio quality you get from a usb type interface or any interface for that matter depends on A/D converters.

if you were using a behringer usb converter than the peavey will sound much better.

Just trying to get the whole pitcure on what you are trying to do, thats all

I don't own either, so i could not tell you which is better, i do have a friend that uses a Peavey PA amp, and their happy with the Pre's that it has.

If all you want to do is mix down your playing to a L/R output to sent to the PC, then read some reviews on which board has better Pre's, and future opions you might want

Most reviews that i have read seems to point to Allen & Heath or Mackie mixers being on top, Peavey being around number 4 or 5

thats not necessarily true. the audio quality you get from a usb type interface or any interface for that matter depends on A/D converters.

if you were using a behringer usb converter than the peavey will sound much better.

Hehehe how did you guess? The usb converter is Behringer, all right :P So I guess we're in for a pleasent surprise when we start using the Peavey one!

Thanks Simbo, I've been indeed checking out some reviews, I guess I'm gonna dig up some more to make the final decision.

Thanks all

just had a feeling :D

fact is those little behringer usb interfaces are crap.

i did some searching and peavey is pretty secretive about the recording quality so i dont know if its 16 bit or 24 bit. it would be best to call or email peavey before buying though

I sent an e-mail to Peavey, here's the response:

"The FX mixer can support playback from a jumpdrive up to a 192kbs at 48k sample rate. From a computer, it doesn't really matter, the computer automatically converts the file to something the FX mixer can play.

Files can be streamed from the mixer to the computer at a 48k sample rate, 24 bit wavefile, basically uncompressed audio.

Recording to the jump drive is done at a much lower bitrate to save CPU power. While good for a quick recording, not the best choice for quality."

What's your take on this?

24 bit is the way to go man.

that usb behringer thing you got records in 16 bit 44.1khz

the peavey records in 24 bit 48khz which is much better and you WILL notice a difference in quality.

Back