Peavey DPM 3SE

DC-XPL

A friend of mine just gave me a Peavey DPM 3SE and it doesn't seem to work. Looks like all he gave me was a headache, but I digress....

I've been interested in adding a keyboard/controller to my studio for awhile. Is this a decent keyboard? Is it worth it to invest a few bucks to have it fixed up? I could just tell him 'no thanks', but I'm oddly interested in resurrecting old gear. If it only costs, say $100 bucks to fix it - worth it??

Like, fixed to work as it used to or fixed just so it outputs midi?

If it's the first one, those didn't sell for a reason. They just weren't good sounding keyboards. They were sample based and every sound was based on a miniscule (by modern standards) low-res sample.

If you just want to fix it so that it works as a midi keyboard you'd be much better off getting one of these for the money that you'd probably need to invest.

Well, a quick update. I actually got the keyboard to work and verified both MIDI IN and OUT. There was obviously a problem with a weak system battery, as it took about 20 minutes to power up. I also got intermittent 'Low system battery voltage...' messages. But I was having fun with the sounds and planning on doing some real recording over the weekend. As it turns out, the last time I switched it on I hear a sizzle, see smoke and smell burning silicon. Looks like I fried part of the circuit board!!!

Ah, well it was fun while it lasted. I'll probably take the ssscientist's suggestion and buy a dedicated controller.

Back