Peavey Classic 30 with strat (no question)

charger

Hey all, I don't know what's going on. When I first got this amp, I was generally unimpressed. However, $200 for an all-tube 30W combo wasn't bad, so I didn't complain. About two months ago I changed the tubes out for a combo of Sovtek 12AX7 LPS and Electro-Harmonix 12AX7 EH, played it for an hour or so, then went back to my POD.

Anyway, lately, I've been playing my strat with Lace Holy Grails through it regularly, and I have to say it sounds totally awesome. The clean channel is nice and clean, but still sounds very tube juicy, and the distortion channel sounds better than ever to me. I've played through lots of tube amps in my time, and this is right up there with many fenders I've played through. Okay, maybe not the 66 Super Reverb, but you get my point...

Anyone else had a similar "burn-in" experience, where an amp just started sounding good to you after a few months?
Is this a question? Not really. I'm just stoked. Maybe later in the week I'll post some sound clips, if anyone's interested.

I like my Classic 50 better than the Fenders and Music Man I've owned in the past. It's not a perfect amp, it's hard to get a "slightly dirty" sound and I wish it was more flexible and add a third channel. It has a "singing" quality on distorted leads....I wanted for years to get that sound but I found it in a Peavey. Weird ? It doesn't do everything but it is a cool amp for blues, classic rock, and maybe jazz. It won't get as nasty as a true Marshall or Mesa, but it was an attempt by Peavey to create a $500 Fender Bassman. The reverb is outstanding.

I kind of wish I had the Classic 30 instead. It doesn't have the internal fan and those issues, and it comes pretty close to the sound of the Classic 50.

Yeah. The Peavey Classic 30 is a decent little amp.

Yeah. While my Boogie Quad sounded decent from the start, it took me a while to fully appreciate certain aspects of it.

And yeah. I've had days where certain amps have sounded like god and days where the same amps sounded like crap.

Except for my TriAxis. It always sounds like god.

:cool:

WoW! Peavey amp fans......now if I could get you guys on Yamaha guitars I'd be impressed......

HMMMMMM

Its funny this post is running ,i'm contemplating swapping my marshall valvestate halfstack for a Classic 50 . Can't really decide this helps a lil bit ,but, today one of the guys who works there let it slip that there is something wrong with one of th tubes .........so now i'm still wondering should i buy ........later

I have a Pacifica 112. Used to be my practice guitar, and I used it for a lot of recordings, but it isn't getting much play these days. Still the best 200$ I've spent on music gear.

I picked up a Classic 30 last December. I do love the taste.
I snuck in a Cel. Vintage 30 a couple months ago. Big sound from a little amp that really cuts through. It had GT(groove tubes) in there before and I went with the JJ's. My mind keeps telling me to go back to the GT's. Maybe I should get a stand for it as you have to stand way back to hear the sound qualities from the floor.
It's loud as hell. I try and get the note feedback a la Santana. It's too loud at 5 and I give up the ear torture.
I've been running a GT-6 in front. I use it for reverb, to sculp a more Stevie sound and simpify achieving note feedback.
Turn the output of the GT-6 way down and crank up the Master to achieve some tube saturation.

I'm glad others appreciate it.

I'd like to try Carvin's 15 watt tube machine also but at $350. Seems steep.

Back