Peavey Classic 30 Extension Cab

andydeedpoll

i do love smilies...
Hey,

I was thinking about getting a cab to use with my peavey Classic 30 - probably 1x12, though a 2x12 wouldn't be so bad, I suppose, haha. I'd like to use it for recording, because I'm getting quite a lot of shaky tubes and things from the amp at the moment, and also just as an alternative colour/tone to the stock speaker.

I don't really understand how to make sure that certain cabinets will work with different amplifiers - does anyone have suggestions for what they're using with a Peavey Classic 30? I was looking at the Epiphone 1x12, or the Blackheart 1x12 cabinet (we're not talking ridiculously expensive here, haha), but like I said, I don't know what does/doesn't work, and how to work it out. I suppose I could go as far as the Orange PPC112 1x12.

Thanks for any advice,

Andrew.

Hey. I have a Classic 112e cab with a 'sheffield 1230', running a Pearce G2r head. Sweet. Single 12's not huge or anything but enough. Wouldn't mind finding another one actually. The closed back focous is perfect for me, way better than open box.
How do you like the 30?

Hey. I have a Classic 112e cab with a 'sheffield 1230', running a Pearce G2r head. Sweet. Single 12's not huge or anything but enough. Wouldn't mind finding another one actually. The closed back focus is perfect for me, way better than open box.
How do you like the 30?

Hey. I have a Classic 112e cab with a 'sheffield 1230', running a Pearce G2r head. Sweet. Single 12's not huge or anything but enough. Wouldn't mind finding another one actually. The closed back focus is perfect for me, way better than open box.
How do you like the 30?

I'm liking it, yeah :) Easily the best amp I've ever owned. Like I said, the rattle noises from the tubes probably can't be helped.

Andrew.

I'm using a Classic 50 head. I friend suggested I try an Avatar cab. It turned out to be a great choice. I got a 2X12 cab with mixed Celestions. It's great for recording in stereo. You can find reviews at harmony-central.com. It's a great choice.

Yeah, I've looked at Avatar, but their american, and i'm not sure what the shipping to Britain (where I live) will be. I'll definately look into them though, cheers :)

Andrew.

the rattle noises from the tubes probably can't be helped.

Guess again...... that would be a design flaw.

Where I come from that's enough reason to sell it and switch to something better. Dont let anybody tell you that "tube amps just do that"...... they shouldn't do that.

It's more a matter of matching the speaker to the cab, not the amp to the cab. Cab designers dont do all those calculations based on what amp you are going to use......they do it based on what speaker you want to put in the cab.

If you want affordable, check Avatar cabs.

If you want the best sound, check Tone Tubby, Orange, Weber, look for alnico speakers, etc... Ear Candy isn't bad at all either. Or you can get an unfinished birch cab from Griffiths Sound Works in Des Moines, stain it cherry, and put any speaker you want in it.....awesome stuff!

Last edited:
Ah that looks like it may well work! I'll order one and see how it goes.

I'm not convinced I'm going to be able to get hold of Avatar cabs in the UK :(, though I haven't had a reply to my email.

I'll still be interested in getting an extension cab - has anyone got any suggestions (I still don't know how to make sure a cab will work - has anyone got a link that explains it? :o)

Ta!

Andrew.

Ya know, a good thing to read if you want a primer on matching cabs to amps is go to the Mesa Boogie web site and read almost any of their manuals.

Their manuals include a long section about matching speakers and cabs to the amp outputs.

Most important ruole of thumb is never run a speeaker cab that has a lower impedance rating than the amp output rating. For example, never run a 4 ohm cab plugged into a jack that says 8 ohms. Dont run an 8 ohm cab in a jack that says 16 ohms. Dont connect two 8 ohm cabs together and plug them into a jack that says 8 ohms.

For the best info you might go browse around some guitar-specific forums.....

Ya know, a good thing to read if you want a primer on matching cabs to amps is go to the Mesa Boogie web site and read almost any of their manuals.

Their manuals include a long section about matching speakers and cabs to the amp outputs.

Most important ruole of thumb is never run a speeaker cab that has a lower impedance rating than the amp output rating. For example, never run a 4 ohm cab plugged into a jack that says 8 ohms. Dont run an 8 ohm cab in a jack that says 16 ohms. Dont connect two 8 ohm cabs together and plug them into a jack that says 8 ohms.

For the best info you might go browse around some guitar-specific forums.....

Cheers, yeah, I'd just about got that. How much of an impact does wattage make?

I'll definately read some of the Mesa Boogie stuff.

Andrew.

Back