Peavey 3120 Line out tracking

BDiNkY30

I have just recently bought a peavey 3120 tube head. I've never recorded line out of a tube amp before, I'm used to using a pod. When i go line out of my peavey into my interface it sounds terrible. Its got this really dirty thin clipping tone. Am i doing something wrong?

So, are you running the Peavey into a guitar cab?

If not you should be!

Then stick a microphone in front of it and record that

So, are you running the Peavey into a guitar cab?

If not you should be!

Then stick a microphone in front of it and record that
No comment on the line out but you should NEVER run a tube amp with no speaker or load connected ..... you'll very likely blow it up.

Lucky for you Peavey makes some brick house amps. haha

The reason it sounds like crap is because you are not simulating the movement of air. The pod simulates a speaker cabinet, a line out does not.

Easy solution bud, like the previously mentioned, always, always, always, have a load on the head when running the preamp out. By load I mean have your cab hooked up as well. Now to business, you need to load an Impulse Response as an effect in your guitars channel strip in your DAW. Google impulse responses, download either kefir or poulin lecab, and search for impulse responses. Problem solved.

Actually, just download Poulin LeCab v1 because there are internal IR's, but once you get an understanding of what an ir is used for, you will be looking for more, I promise.

You can get a great result recording di through a preamp too, it just takes experience, I do it all the time. I use my Bugera 6262 Infinium preamp out, into a ART tube pre into my interface. I use sonar, so I use perfect space (the built in Convolution Reverb loader in sonar) to load my impulses. Just add a high pass around 80 hz and a low pass at around 7-8 khz and bam, sounds good, experiment with different impulses, which are readily available for free with alittle searching on the internet.

Back