PCMIA - Firewire

A friend used one when he accidentally broke the firewire 400 port on his powerBook - got the PCMCIA firewire card, and it seemed to work fine with his external hard drives and such. As for whether it will still be faster than USB, I have no idea - probably would still trump USB 1 :)

Firewire cards work just fine in laptops. If you're using it for audio, be sure you get one that has a Texas Instruments firewire chip and not a cheap piece of crap like the one in your link there. And firewire will ALWAYS beat usb for pro audio use.

And firewire will ALWAYS beat usb for pro audio use.

I just didn't know what the data transfer rate over EIDE is - its a bus connection just like USB and firewire, and as such, has a limitation - if you put a conversion to firewire in front of it, whatever is in front is limited by the speed of the EIDE bus. I would assume its fast enough, but it is unrelated to USB vs. firewire. Firewire is definitely faster than USB 1 & 2, but only if it is built straight into the proper part of the system. If EIDE were slower than both, then either would be essentially going at the same rate :)

Nothing wrong with using a PCMCIA card; that's what they were built for.

...just make sure it has a TexasInstruments or Lucent firewire chipset in it. Almost all firewire interface manufacturers demand it for proper operation. (Not the place to cheap out.... a GOOD card with TI chips wont cost you much more but it will WORK.)

Which ones??

That begs an interesting question. Seeing that most manufacturers don't list what they use, which ones have TI chipsets??

thank you very much :)

and i wasn't going to buy that actual card, it was just the first one i came across and thought "oh! would that work?" :P

cheers :) i'll have a good think. though to be honest, i might not be ablke to afford a firewire interface... i might have to make do with the Tascam US 144 USB 2 interface.

thank you :)

Andrew.

Back