PCI/PCIe

TMS

Hi,

My next important purchase for my home studio will be recording interface.
I will be recording at home. I wont be recording live gigs or anything, so need just a few I/O's.
My budget is 400EUR/500$

I understand about USB and Firewire connectivity, just plug and play in most cases.

But how about PCI/PCIe interfaces?
If I install one of these, what else do I need to add to the signal chain when recording an instrument (mostly guitars and MIDI keyboard).
I hope you can help me to understand the possibilities.

Regards,
TMS

Just think of PCI and PCIe as permanent firewire/usb.

What you need to add just depends on what that interface has.
If it only has line inputs, you'll need to add preamps with line outputs.
If it only has digital inputs, you'll need to add preamps+converters, or preamps with digital outputs.
If it has mic preamps, just add a mic.

Hope that's useful to ya.

Most of the interface manufacturers have dropped internal cards because:

There is a ton of EMF interference inside computers they have to fight.
It's a pain to open up computers and muck with cards; many people are uncomfortable/unable to do it
Many computers don't even HAVE internal cards anymore
It's far easier to swap devices on external ports
and
USB/Firewire/Thunderbolt have more bandwidth than we need anyway.
You just don't need to use a PCI card to get decent performance anymore.

As to what else you'll need: same as with any outboard interface with line-in ports.

So if Im getting EMU 1212m EMU.jpg -
means I can add Presonus Bluetube DP V2 to it?

This is the best I could come up with for the money Im given and PCI way seem to be very expensive way to go!
I was considering PCI's because of their low latency.

Now Im changing my mind. again...

I checked my PC motherboard and it has USB 3.0 port - link.
If I choose USB interface which was designed to use with USB 2.0 and plug it into USB 3.0 - how the interface would reply to such action?

Thank you for your replies, guys
I start to see the light :)

TMS

I'd say stay clear of the EMU stuff anymore. They don't seem to be supporting Win7-64bit with a fully released driver. There is a beta version, but I am not confident it plays well with quad core cpu's.

As for USB 3.0, it is fully compatible with USB 2.0 devices. How many channels do you see yourself needing?? Most home recording types can get by with only 2 channels. If you're recording acoustic drums, then you'll need more, but otherwise, 2 channels is sufficient.

I'd +1 everything that's been said here.
Card slots are on their way out. I don't know if that applies across the board, but certainly at the entry/small studio level.
There are just so many good quality usb/firewire interfaces available.

I have a presonus firestudio mobile which has two decent preamps and 6 line inputs.
If adding more preamps in future concerns you, those line inputs would be very useful.

+ handy gain/volume controls, headphone output, and you can use it on whatever computer you like.
It's about the size of 5 stacked cd cases.

I'd say stay clear of the EMU stuff anymore. They don't seem to be supporting Win7-64bit with a fully released driver. There is a beta version, but I am not confident it plays well with quad core cpu's.

As for USB 3.0, it is fully compatible with USB 2.0 devices. How many channels do you see yourself needing?? Most home recording types can get by with only 2 channels. If you're recording acoustic drums, then you'll need more, but otherwise, 2 channels is sufficient.

I wont be recording live drums, not in a near future.
So 2 Line/Mic inputs would be more then enough at the moment.

If you say that 3.0 is compatible with 2.0 devices - I cant be more happy to hear that.
Means I can look at the USB devices with a piece of mind.

Thank you all!

TMS

Back