PCI conversion

Elmo89m

Im 99.9% sure this doesn't exist but i thought i would ask for sure and at least give people a reason to give me a hard time. Is there any device that i can plug a PCI device into which has a usb or firewire output, allowing pci connection to a laptop.

Elmo89m said:
Im 99.9% sure this doesn't exist but i thought i would ask for sure and at least give people a reason to give me a hard time. Is there any device that i can plug a PCI device into which has a usb or firewire output, allowing pci connection to a laptop.

Not unless the device has a PCI bus built-in that is exposed in some way. If you have a CardBus or ExpressCard slot, you can do expansion chassis. That Dell thing somebody mentioned works because Dell provides PCI signal lines on a custom connector. In the general case, though, if all you have is FireWire/USB, no it isn't possible. PCI is a lot faster than FireWire or USB.

I once considered mocking up a PCI-over-FireWire software bridge to allow one machine to use PCI slots in another over a FireWire connection, but I never got around to actually writing the first line of code. I sold my 1010LT and bought a FireWire interface instead. :D

yeah it looks like im just going to do that. The dell bridge wont work with the laptop im getting, and there is no way i will drop a grand for the mobile elctronics expansion box.

Back