PCI Card - Windows XP Media Edition

Fangar

Hey guys,

I just got a new PC (not originally intended for PC recording) and am looking into cards. Unfortunately, the system has XP Media Edition on it. I know from reading around that there are few if any cards on the market that will work in it. DOH!

I am not opposed to moving to XP Professional (I think around 100 bucks or so), but was wondering if there are any nice options that will run in Media Edition.

It is a Pentium D (2.80 ghz) w/ 2 GB Ram. Soundblaster Advanced MB Audio.

I have a version of Vegas Audio and Acid 3.0 already running on it which seems to be operating fine in play mode with my old files.

So what say ye?

Cheers,

Fangar

Media edition just has some extra stuff for multimedia (DVDs, video, etc.)

It's still got a core of standard XP and takes the same drivers and cards.

Pro only gives you superior networking abilities (networking to many PCs on the same network). You should just go ahead and try it before spending any money....

XP MCE is XP Pro with the additional Media Center functionality.

XP MCE is the best deal when it comes to purchasing an actual Microsoft OS - you get the full functionality of XP Pro for $130-170. XP Pro at retail (non upgrade) is closer to $300.

The downside is that big box retailers will not carry XP MCE. You will have to go to a specialized custom PC shop or buy it online. Microsoft has even stopped requiring that the OEM installation be bundled with a piece of hardware.

im having same problem. i have windows media center edition and its been nothing but a nightmare trying to get any audio applications to work properly. you CANNOT use media center for daw's, simple as that!
im now having to buy xp pro because of this unbelievable oversight on microsoft's part. here's a list of "some of the known applications" to be incompatable with mce:
http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ts/detail.php?Index=30163&keyword=30163
as you can see its pretty much every audio hardware/ software out there.

yeah i think iread that too sync. maybe it worked for that guy but not me lol. i had live chat with tech guy from hp(i have hp computer) and he told me you can't convert media center into xp pro. he also said hp don't recommend installing new operating system as comp is set up for media center. and i called m audio support and was told their sound card doesn't work with mce. basically all this stuff WILL work but it causes all kinds of weird thing s to happen in windows. iv'e had programs disapear for instance and had to run system restore to get them back.i have an m audio delta 192 soundcard and home studio 2 btw.

Back