PCI card/converters question

petimar

Sorry for an inexperienced user question but here goes… I have a small home studio with good mics and preamps, but plan on upgrading my PC and soundcard and AD/DA converters in the near future. I am starting to research what to get. I have a pretty good idea of what I want computer wise (PC). I currently Use Cool Edit Pro but will probably purchase Cubase as my new multi track program.

I currently have a MOTU 2408mkII and want to upgrade. I would like a card/converter with 4 analog channels and MIDI, but could get by with two analog channels if expandable. I have good outboard pres, so don’t want anything with pres. I’d like a PCI card rather than Firewire or ISB. My budget is $1000 up to $3000. I’d also like something with no latency monitoring capability (I don’t use plug-ins while tracking).

I’ve been looking at the following:

Apogee
Lavory
RME
Mytek
Lynx

Anyone care to tell me about their experiences with these? Any other suggestions? Tell me what you like and why if you would be so kind. Thanks in advance!
Pete

I only have experience with RME. Good stuff, no frills. Does exactly what it says. The most stable piece of pc gear I ever owned. Excellent drivers. Never had troubles with it, so I don't even know how their support is, you don't need it.

Havoc said:
I only have experience with RME. Good stuff, no frills. Does exactly what it says. The most stable piece of pc gear I ever owned. Excellent drivers. Never had troubles with it, so I don't even know how their support is, you don't need it.
Agreed.

I got the Hammerfall HDSP 9652 a few months ago and it is swell.

I've heard that Apogee was the best, not putting down all the others because I haven't used any of them, I've got a 1820M, and I like it but thats a whole different price range, but Apogee has PCIE cards now that I heard are the best, some of them you can get upto 92 inputs

I would opt for the Lavry if I could justify the cost, they ARE among the best. Just truly exxcellent convertors. A total other league from the Apogee.

IMHO, in order of desirability, it would be
Lavry
Mytek and Lynx
Apogee and RME.

Back