PC upgrade worth it? Minmum Sonar 8 PE requirements.

Popo75

I have recently acquired a "new" PC. It is running windows XP. I'm sure the hardware is a little out of date so I want to upgrade it for recording purposes only. I am using Sonar 8 PE on my current (windows 7) computer but its the family computer and is getting bogged down with crap.

The problem is every internet search I do for the minimum requirements for Sonar 8 I get redirected to Sonar X. I've been using 8 for so long I forgot the requirements.

The new PC I got has 704mb of RAM so I know that I have to upgrade that.

It has a 2Ghz processor as well.

I'm not a huge fan of windows 8 so I don't want a new PC.

I got the PC for free so is it even worth it to upgrade?

Maybe you could tell us more about your processor (right click on my computer->properties)? 2ghz doesn't tell much these days, it's all about the cores now.

704mb ram most likely equals 768mb of actual memory (256x3 / 512+256) minus 64 mb of shared video memory.
If that's correct, it puts your computer firmly in pentium 4 territory.

Sonar 8 producer edition requires.
Operating System: Windows XP/Vista (32 and 64-bit)
Intel® Pentium® 4 2.8 GHz [EM64T]
AMD Athlon™ XP 2800+ or higher
RAM: 1 GB RAM or more

So if your computer runs it, it wont run it well.

Very little money at all would replace your PC, and if you have a windows XP license code stuck on your old machine you could use XP on the new box.
You could get a second hand core2duo machine for <£100 on ebay or local adds.
I have a pentium 4 3.0ghz HTT box here with 4gb ram that I couldn't give away. :facepalm:

Thanks for the relies. The processor is a AMD Athlon XP 2400+. I did think about getting another machine through ebay but I'm apprehensive because I don't want a machine that someone else was having problems with. I guess that's the way I will have to go.

Well, the age of the hardware means there's a good chance you know someone like me who just has a spare box sitting in a cupboard or something.

You could certainly try Sonar 8 out as it stands. You're not that far off the specs.

If you plan to do very basic work you'd probably get away with it.
If not, upgrading is the way forward.

Maybe you could put a wanted add in this forum? At least then there'd be a person/community to deal with. You're much less likely to get a problematic machine.
Of course if something arrives from ebay and doesn't work as described you get your money back, but returning a computer is hassle and postage can sting.

Back