pc too noisy - extension cable for mic?

klytus

I want to record vocals into my PC, but the fan/power supply noise is too great.

Can I get an extension cable for my mic and run, say, 15f in to the next room and record from there?

Are there any issues with signal degradation etc?

Thanks

With low impedence mics, no problem. You could go 100' without significant degredation. If it's high impedence on the other hand, 15' max between the mic and preamp.

and would a large diaphram condensor be high imediance? So a 25' cable would not do so well? Extra noise?

Condensor mics are low impedence and you could run a much longer cable than 25' if you had to. Also remember condensors require phantom power and ALL microphones require a preamp. I've heard no mention of a mic preamp. Hope you're not using a impedence transformer.

aside from buying different cords, there can be other solutions, as crosstudio pointed out. i frequently throw cover over my PC when recording (one of those eggshell crate-looking pillows behind it and covering it with a blanket)-it makes a serious difference, as changing out my noisy CPU fan for a newer, better, quieter one did. after doing plenty of recordings with audible pc noise (you can actually hear the harddrive clacking in some of my earlier recordings in the right spots!), i've gotten to a point where monkeying with cover, preamp levels, and dynamics afterward leaves me with a fairly clean, honest sound. that said, up to this point, i've been recording directly with cardioid mics using very little room in my sound. it should be interesting when i get my omni condensors in.

Back