PC specs decent enough?

BlackHawk2029

right now i'm running a 2.66 Ghz dual core processor, and only a gig of ram and doing okay with 8 tracks simultaneous recording at 44.1khs 24 bit with about 5ms latency, i'd like to take that up to 16 tracks at 32 bit with maybe 2ms latency. Would upping my RAM to 4 gb do it for me, or would i be pushing my processor too hard? I'm not exactly the most computer-savvy guy in the world, but i do know somewhat how it all works, just need some help here and there

I'd up your ram anyway, it's cheap as chips (hehe) these days (plus it's christmas!)

What I/O interface are you using? That may have more to do with it than the actual PC you're running, if you get me. Maybe, maybe not.

Have you tried it yet?

I'm fairly sure that would be a processor intensive task... I would think that 2.66 dual core should be plenty of power.

4 gigs of RAM could never hurt, though. Especially since DDR2 is rather cheap now.

Brandon

DOH! Good point, slowmotion.

The interface will have quite a bit to do with it as well.

Brandon

Ummm... how are you doing 32-bit files with only 24-bits of conversion?

I don't think I'd worry about 32-bit files. Mainly because your interface only goes up to 24 bit/96k.

In other words, you have mysteriously added 8 bits of info, with nowhere for them to come from.

I may be totally missing something (some kind of new thing that your software does to get the audio up to 32 bits), but I truly don't think there would be any advantage in trying to fake 32 bit files. Unless you're just wanting to eat up harddrive space.

If I'm missing something here, feel free to feel me in. I should have caught the 32-bit thing earlier. My bad!

Brandon

Well, Tracktion has been giving me the option for it when I select the Alesis as my sound device. That's good to know though, that way i don't eat up recourses more than needed.

Either way,

Will the 4gb ram be worth my while/cash? Or will 2 do it?

Alright thanks guys. I think I'm going to go ahead and go for the upgrade.

Also, I've got another pc which I want to use for just web surfing, but the processor is blown. Does anybody know what socket the pentium 4's use?

Alright thanks guys. I think I'm going to go ahead and go for the upgrade.

Also, I've got another pc which I want to use for just web surfing, but the processor is blown. Does anybody know what socket the pentium 4's use?

just do a google search on the mobo model and it'll tell you what socket type the board takes.

i think the speed of your hard drive will limit you in the area of # of tracks recorded simultaneously b4 RAM or your CPU...

Back