PC speakers as Monitors?

gcounselman

I have a good set of PC speakers with subwoofer. I know they are not as good as real monitors but I am using them for money's sake. I have an M-Audio Delta44 card and have them plugged into one of the outputs (with a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter). However, I only get playback in the left channel. My adapter is stereo. I have also made sure that my inputs are panned in the center. My Delta outputs are also panned in the center, but still only the left speaker plays back. When I plug the speakers back into my AWE32 and set my output to the AWE, my recordings play back in stereo. Any ideas? I thought about just using my AWE32 for outputs until I could get some monitors but it doesn't support anything higher than 16bit / 44.1khz (I am recording in 24bit / 48khz).
Thanks for ideas.
-gman

According to the manual that I just looked up on the internet, you need to connect the speakers to outputs 1 AND 2 to get stereo output... Get rid of the 1/8 stereo adapter and get to separate mono adapters and plug them into outputs one and two...

Yes, the connectors are tip-ring-sleeve, but that's because of the pro-audio specs you get with the unit... Some hardware you purchase may have "balanced" outputs that are TRS connections...

Hope this helps...

Hello,

Basically the ouputs of the Delta work in stereo pairs, so out 1 is left, and out 2 is right. You’ll need to get a y-adapter cable for the jack you got so you can run two mono ¼ inch jacks into 1 and 2, then have those merge into a single stereo ¼ inch jack which will go into your current cable.

Matt Nelson
M Audio/Midiman Tech Support

this is my reply email from M-Audio. Thanks Riverdog! That is basically the same thing he is telling me. :-)

Back