PC Software

Doug

I'm new to digital recording, and I have a newbie question, what types of music software are out there?

I am thinking of buying Cubase VST/Score, but will this suffice, when I ask my friends what software they use, they usually mention two pieces. They say something like : (sorry I can't remember the names they used)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>"I should be using blah blah and blah blah, but I can't afford it so I'm using blah blah and blah blah"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So my question is, what genres of music software are there out there, and which is generally preferred in each area? Why do people seem to always use two?

Many thanks,

Doug

[This message has been edited by Doug (edited 12-06-1999).]

Doug, There are a lot of programs out there on the net that you can down load for free. Gold Wave and N-Tracks are just 2. One of the biggest reasons that most of us use more than 1 program is that the features of one may be easier to use than in another. No 1 program is easiest to use.

I think you mean something like this:

Audio editors
Multitrack recording software
MIDI sequencers
CD burning software
Mastering software
MP3 utilities

More than two! But what you *probably* had in mind were one each of the first two...you really need both a standalone audio editor (Sound Forge XP, GoldWave, CoolEdit, etc.) and a multitrack program (Cubase, Cakewalk, n-track, etc.)

Actually Dragon I've wondered about that same thing, having an editing program as well as the multi track recording program.

I don't have much money so I can't be too extreme, but just for my info., what kinds of things will the editing programs (i.e. Sound Forge, Cool Edit) do that the recording programs will not do?

Houdini,

The advantage of something like soundforge or wavelab, is that it's designed for working with the final (not always) 2-track stereo mix.

In otherwords, it's not a multitracker. For example, after mixing a song down to a stereo wave file, I will use soundforge to edit out any noise at the start, end etc.. add a fade out to the end, if required.

It's just another software tool in the process of recording. First the multitracker (Cubase, Calkwalk etc.) for getting all the individual tracks recorded, and in an interface that you can control the volume of each track, panning, fx, etc. Then something like soundforge or wavelab, goldwave for final editing.

Anyway, I'm rambling here.

Sorry, Dobro, I was thinking generically, as an owner of Cool Edit 96.

And Houdini...that's why I always try to specify Sound Forge XP, which (except for the maddening limitation they put in on purpose of not working with plugins) does almost everything its $350 cousin will do. $40 online, and easily worth it. For multitracking, n-track is even less $$, and does work with plugins! I've just found they have a new version that may include a WAV file editor, but I still think that Sound Forge XP is about the best for standalone work...

Thanks for the help, but does someone want to go one step further? It might be asking a lot but how about a list of pieces of software, their function, and whether or not they are freeware? It could even be a permanent page on homerecording - I'd be happy to write it up, if people give me the raw details.

Thanks again

Doug

Hey Doug,

I'm currently upgrading from analog, so I know how you feel! So many titles, so little cash to get everything. For effects and editing I'd suggest GoldWave, which you can try for free then pay the registration fee later. Anything from Sonic Foundry would help too http://www.sonicfoundry.com What you need depends on how many effects you want/need to use. Check out all the BBs here, then go check out some of the names mentioned.

For Multitracking cheap, I'd suggest either n-tracks($40) or Power Tracks pro audio 5.0 ($29 reg)from PG music. These would give you the highest amount of tracks for the money, and both come with some effects. Pro Tracks gives you as many as 48 tracks, I don't know how many you get with n-tracks.

As far as I know, there are no totally free programs out there. You only get demos, and you have to pay to get full versions. To really record seriously you need full version software. If you need further assistance email me or post it here. I'd need more info on your band and equipment you already have before I say more. Hope this helps

Good Luck,
Joe

[This message has been edited by Dragon (edited 12-09-1999).]

Okay, what can Sound Forge do that Cool Edit Pro can't? (This is a real question, not a challenge.) I'm recording, editing and mixing down in CEP, and then burning CDs that play okay. Am I missing something?

Yeah, All I have is CEP and it takes me all of the way from recording to CD burning... What else can you do in the mastering stage other than edit and apply FX just as you would any other waveform...
CEP lets you EQ, compress, normalize, all that shiite... All it seems to lack is a Finalizer and Sonic Maximizer...
Like I said many moons ago... We need a Cool Edit Pro forum...
Come on Dough Brother... Speak up!!!!

S8-N

Apples and oranges, Dobro...Sound Forge is a WAV file audio editor, but CEP does that and multitracking too.

Ok, I think I've got everything in perspective, and thanks for all your help - but that list I mention would really be a valuable resource.

Doug,

I'd be more than happy to make a list of stuff you could look at, but you need to list exactly what you're looking for and what you need it to do for you. Also what kind of budget are you working with? From your first message I assumed you were looking for a cheap solution. Also what you already have in terms of PC specs and sound card would be needed. (By the way, I have Cool Edit SE myself, it came with Gina...but I also use other programs as well)

Do you have a band or are you doing this on your own? It makes a difference in what you'd need. What kind of music, what instuments you need,etc.

There is no one list that applies to everyone, except just terms like Dragon gave you. Everyone's list is different according to what you need and what you have to spend. Here's my list of some of the things I use:

440mhz PC w/ 96MB RAM (Celeron)
Event Gina Digital Audio Card
Acid Pro
Cool Edit SE
Pro Audio 5.0
Sound Forge
NTI Cd maker pro
Nero
Memorex CDRW drive
Acer CDRW drive
Fostex analog 4-track
Shure 58 mic
ART ECC
Les Paul
Lyon Bass
Roland Keyboard for MIDI

I spent around $3000 for just the PC, RAM and the software. You can spend more or alot less, depending on what YOU need. Hope this clears things up a bit. So if you want me to help you with your list, post some more info for me to work with.

Good Luck
Joe

When it comes to the actual recording equipment, I'm fine. I have all the mics and analogue gear and experience. I've been using a Fostex RtR 8-track for the last six months.

I've also made up my mind about the digital hardware I'm going to use. I already have a PIII 500/128Mb, and I've just ordered an ISIS.

The list I was looking for is simply a compilation of all of the DA pieces of software out there, what they do and how widely they are acclaimed. It doesn't have to be done by one person.

Thanks for all your help,

Doug

Doug,

What you mentioned helps, but it still comes back to this list:
Audio editors
Multitrack recording software
MIDI sequencers
CD burning software
Mastering software
MP3 utilities

All of these items are part of a recording digital audio on your PC. There are more titles than I could list without some specifics. Which basically comes back to what exactly do you want to do on the PC, and how much cash you have to spend. Are you going completely digital, or do you just want to transfer from the Fostex? The bigger software titles are in discussion groups on this BB, but there are literally hundreds of programs out there for Digital audio applications.

Look around the rest of this BB for info on the bigger names, ask people who have them what they do, etc. If you want me to help you with a list, you'll have to get a little more specific on your needs.

Let me know
Joe

Oh alright - let's get cool. I've been using Cool Edit Pro with good results, and, with about as much experience as a newly-hatched ladybug, think it's a pretty respectable program which deserves the very best in hr.com forum facilitation. If there's an n-Track forum here, shouldn't there be a CEP forum, etc?

Yours respectfully,

dobro (senior member)

Hi,

Ok then. Forget the list, maybe it was over ambitious. However could you quickly go over the best shareware titles out there?

Many thanks,

Doug

Back