PC Recording Ins/Outs

RockinShawnM

Hello all,
I am using Cakewalk Homestudio 9.
Can I apply an external fx unit to an already recorded track? I've tried using the output from one solo-ed track into the quadraverb then back into a blank track. The problem is that I can't hear "only" the effected track. I must hear the dry track in order to effect it. Therefore I cannot get an objective appraisal of how much the effected track is effected.
I think one of my solutions is an outboard mixer, but I'm not sure what, specifically, these do. I've seen a few usb interfaces that offer more inputs and outputs. Tascam makes an 8 track interface that hooks up via usb.
My question, is if these interface with the computer via usb do they also need an audio in or is the dac built into these units?

Thank you all for your help!!

Shawn
ThrilChase@aol.com

Well, I use plug-ins mostly, so this may or may not be helpful. Yes, you have to "play" the track in order to effect it, but most effects have a wet dry balance. Often the dry track is kept intact, a %100 wet track is recorded and the two are blended via mixing the fader levels of the two tracks... another option would be to record one track with a mixed wet/dry signal for a few seconds, then solo that track and hear the effect. If you have a multi channel in/out sound card, you should be able to route the dry signal to the outboard effects but only play the effected signal through your speakers. Hope this helps, or that someone who knows more than I do answers you!!

Back