Votes: 343 51.9%
  • Mac

Votes: 217 32.8%
  • Both

Votes: 80 12.1%
  • Other

Votes: 21 3.2%

• Total voters
Yup. Both PC and Mac can be used totally successfully for music production and video editing--but you can get a lot more "bang for your buck" investing in PC.

I've yet to hear a compelling argument why some people think it's worth spending the extra for a Mac. So long as you set things up properly, Macs are no more stable or reliable.

1) Because it's white.

2) Because the Macbook has a little thing to stop you pulling the power cord out accidentally if you trip over it.

(Instead, you just pull the whole laptop off the desk onto the floor. Along with your coffee cup and a vase (if applicable). )

----------------------------------------------

Macs are no more stable or reliable.

I don't believe you. :)

I wish that the DAW guys would support Linux. That OS is very efficient and you can use lower grade hardware rather effective.

What's the advantage to running linux nowadays?
Genuine question:I've only ever used a linux LiveCD as a tool for very short periods of time.

The main advantage is the ability to focus the OS to a single purpose. Take a look at your TVs, set top boxes, net storage devices, etc. They are all running a form Linux. Since you can tweak it, you could technically have your dedicated music computer setup to focus on just music production and cut out all of the other items that are loaded with the other OSes. You could probably gain another 30-40% (just a guess) efficiency allowing lower equipment to come out of the closet and be use (like an old laptop to take to a remote recording session).

I have some older systems (over 10 years old) that I put Ubuntu on and they ran great with the Linux, but struggled with WinXP. The ability to really get the OS configured with very low overhead would be the advantage.

Learning here…
What kinds of things are you talking about turning off?
I mean, excluding dopey shit like bundled AV software or toolbars, anything significant?

Learning here…
What kinds of things are you talking about turning off?
I mean, excluding dopey shit like bundled AV software or toolbars, anything significant?

Actually, you don't turn it off, you just don't turn it on. Ubuntu loads up just the basics. Networking and a few other things.

Its free and getting older hardware and making a dedicated music computer could be done by more people. Like, Ubuntu, Reaper (doesn't run on it yet) and a five year old Desktop/laptop. Load it up with RAM and a good hard drive, interface, couple of hundred dollars and you are up and running.

There is one DAW that works on Linux, Ardour, I've not used it but have heard it is capable. I think it does run on Apple's OSes.

I haven't forgotten. :thumbs up:

So, with Linux not everything has to go through the GUI. You get Multilayered run levels vs. a single-layered run level. If I want an app to run, I can run from a command line, or a GUI. It makes for a more efficient launch method. Linux starts is just a kernel, so you can strip off many things you don't need (say music) and just keep what is required (look at the different distributions and you get what I am saying). For example, the Roku box uses the kernel and created its own interface. My GPS uses the kernel and uses its own interface. My NAS uses a web interface. All of these run on low level hardware, but are very quick as the are focused on their intent.

If there were one focused on music creation, you could strip off everything but some USB/firewire support, your network card, and some support. Audio device support, Some low level graphics, done. No VPN support, encryption certification, etc.

If you look at the devices mentioned, then think about a decent computer focused on a DAW (TASCAM probably uses Linux on their Portastudio). You get a very focused OS and most of the hardware is focused on the task.

Probably didn't answer your question, but Windows and Apple OSes are general purpose OSes. Ubuntu Studio Check this example out.

Probably didn't answer your question, but Windows and Apple OSes are general purpose OSes. Ubuntu Studio Check this example out.

Nah, I get you. I just don't see it making that much difference in real life.
Maybe it did when CPUs were less developed. IDK.

It's not convenient to 'strip away' services on a mac, but it hasingle user mode seems to be runlevel 1 equivalent.

Last edited:
Nah, I get you. I just don't see it making that much difference in real life.
Maybe it did when CPUs were less developed. IDK.

It's not convenient to 'strip away' services on a mac, but it hasingle user mode seems to be runlevel 1 equivalent.
Unless you can boot in level 1, then you are just shelling out, Windows has that as well, but you are still in the GUI. In Linux, you can actually run with no GUI. So you could bring up just the application with minimal services.

But yes, that was the point, you could get all of the resources focused and use older hardware or get more out of your current hardware.

Yeah there's a terminal shell, but there's also single user mode. It's a boot option for Darwin before the Gui loads.
Having said that I'm sure one can't be compared to the other. You're not gonna find a mac in single user mode unless there's a boffin in front of it trying to fix something.

Maybe I just don't get it. If someone told me about SSDs ten years ago, I could have imagined the results and would have wanted it.
From any descriptions of linux advantages I just can't imagine how it's going to be 'better' than what I know.
Know what I mean?

Yeah there's a terminal shell, but there's also single user mode. It's a boot option for Darwin before the Gui loads.
Having said that I'm sure one can't be compared to the other. You're not gonna find a mac in single user mode unless there's a boffin in front of it trying to fix something.

Maybe I just don't get it. If someone told me about SSDs ten years ago, I could have imagined the results and would have wanted it.
From any descriptions of linux advantages I just can't imagine how it's going to be 'better' than what I know.
Know what I mean?

Yes, that is another reason for level 1, fixing deep issues.

Back