Votes: 343 51.9%
  • Mac

Votes: 217 32.8%
  • Both

Votes: 80 12.1%
  • Other

Votes: 21 3.2%

• Total voters
I agree apple care would have been a better idea.

Pc products and hardware are just more accessible for me.As i live in the middle of no where.

Although I do prefare the mac os to windows xp

And I travel alot with work thats why my mac took a beating

half dozen of one, six of the other.

it only depends on what software you want to use.

if you want to use Logic (which in itself is probably the most powerful single bundle of music creation software), go mac.

if you want a large assortment of software (good and bad), use pc.

I prefer the pc route, but do not discredit the mac route.

Lol here's one for you. What's better versace clothing or regular clothing? They both are designed for the same thing.

It's psychology really. Because mac focuses on media alot ur mind automatically think it's better. But a well built pc is as good as a mac.

And at the end of the day when you play ur favourite record, I bet my fender strat that u can't tell (Hear) if it's produced on a mac or pc.

Bottomline = music exists for hundreds of years and computers don't. I say drop the lame discussion and go make music. Then when ur a good producer and make alot of money u can buy both.

lame answer for lame discussion

Nuff said

its true that both are good but macs are made for creative stuff and the stuff their compatibile with is what their made for and i dont like viruses

PC's are every bit as reliable as Macs. I'd like to have a Mac cuz I do like the idea of the OS being built on the solid Unix core, but most of us don't have $2000 for one.

I've used both Windows 2000 and Windows XP and both are extremely reliable operating systems. I've never had a crash with either, and my computer is on 24/7. Plus I'm connected to the net.

There are common sense ways to prevent malware from infesting your PC also. Just because you're connected to the net doesn't mean your machine must have spyware on it. That's like saying because I choose to have a drink when I play Friday night I'm automatically an alcoholic.

Plus with a PC you can hand select the parts and build your own. That's a great advantage.

Normally I'd have said PC due to the fact that I hate Command/Clicking.. but since you can use a standard mouse now-a-days that doesn't matter...

I still stick with PC due to cheapness though, but I've always found macs more on the stable side.

I don't think it is a debate anymore. Just go for the software you like.

Same Hardware, different OS.

We should ask "What is best for recording: XP, Vista, Linux, or OSX?"

T.

its true that both are good but macs are made for creative stuff and the stuff their compatibile with is what their made for and i dont like viruses

So macs are made merely for creative stuff and nothing else, whereas PC's are made for a whole range of stuff including creative stuff?

Sounds to me like you are advocating PC's for their versatility. :rolleyes:

Personally I think the Mac vs PC debate is dead. It's no difference to a Cubase vs Adobe Audition debate or something like that. It's a matter of personal preferance to your own workflow, and what you feel most comfortable working with. I prefer to use PC's merely because I know them better. I don't think either one is better than the other.

On the subject of viruses, I've never had one on my PC so...well...that's that argument blown out of the water really isn't it.

i just read a david pogue (ny times) article about the "new" macbook---- it will not have firewire. he hypothesizes that it (apple) will eventually kill firewire completely:
Apple also points out that FireWire is still available on its desktop Macs and its larger, heavier, more expensive Pro laptops. And one older, plastic MacBook model is still for sale, at $1,000--with FireWire. But when Apple drops FireWire from its bestselling machine, it's a good bet that other models will follow.
this alone will make apple less appealing to a lot of home recordists, as their firewire interfaces will no longer work with a stock unit. and we all know of the perils of using usb interfaces...............

this alone will make apple less appealing to a lot of home recordists, as their firewire interfaces will no longer work with a stock unit. and we all know of the perils of using usb interfaces...............

I do not believe this statement is true, because I don't agree with the decision apple made to drop firewire on their macbook's but they do have firewire on the macbook pro model. So they will not do away with firewire all together because they know a lot of people use firewire drives, you just have to spend a little more money to get it.

On a personal note that is why I'm sticking with my late '06 model macbook and not upgrading until it completely dies.

pcs are also made for creative stuff

pcs are compatible with is what they are made for -- and they are compatible with things that mac isnt, and vice versa

and if you dont like viruses dont go on the net with a windows machine - because the market share of windows is soooo high, viruses are only primarily written for windows. if mac had 95 percent of the market share, they would be called "virus ridden" .

not to mention i havent gotten a virus on my machine in 6 years. And then, only one since ive owned a computer (1999) and it was only due to my incompetence at the time, i was just learning about these things.

For recording?

As a general statement, both are equal. The software will rarely do anything different whether it's pc or mac. A song recorded and mixed in Pro Tools on a Mac will sound exactly the same as a song recorded and mixed exactly the same way on a PC.

Other than this, it's a classic "PC or Mac?" question, which has little to do with recording.

It's all down to components and the user.

"Mac's are more stable" - no. They're just not susceptible to viruses, and IMO, if you're careful on a PC, you won't have the problem. I've a Mac and a PC, and I use the PC when I have the choice. I've used them for 14 years, and I like them. I've had nothing but problems with Macs (they broke my iPod ffs :mad: )

On a ratio of PC:Mac crashes or problems I've had over the last year, I'd say it's about 20:80

I was turned down by a client not long ago for not "using a Mac to record".
He didn't care what the PC was. He said he knows "PCs can't record music as well."

I had no idea MAC/PC was still an issue. Afterall, PCs and MACs practically use practically the same hardware, and the OS is just a flavor.
And AFAIK the same audio hardware and software can be used on either for the most part.

rofl, I know that's a really old post, but it made me chuckle, and I couldn't help but reply. There is one thing that I've learned since working in the "real world". There are some clients that you just don't want. Who knows what else this guys *knows* (or thinks he knows). He sounds like a dumb ass and a pain in the ass to work with. Be glad he turned you down! :D

Back