PC multi-track: does this work

Bathtubgin

I'm trying to set up a small studio that will allow me to record 8 simultanious digital tracks (mostly from mics). It will be used mostly to record music students in groups from 5-10 musicians. The goal is to record multi-track to the PC, and then mix down to a DAT.

Here are the components as I've planned them so far:

Various mics --->
Tascam TM-D1000--(TDIF OUT)-->
Tascam PCI-822-->
Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 --(SPDIF OUT)-->
DA-20MKII

The PC would probably be a 333Mhz Pentium II, 128 MB RAM, about 10 Gigs hard drive.

Will this work?
If anybody has other solutions, try to keep them in a similar price range. thanks.

that would totally work. why do you wanna mix down to DAT, though? Id just get a cd burner and say "SCREW DAT!!"

oh.. and you only have Phantom power on 4 of your 8 channels on that mixer... so at least 4 of your mics should be dynamics.

oxox

ps.. I have a similar setup.. no Cakewalk, though.

Thanks. And as far as the DAT, the reason I'm using it is becuase i've already got it(I've been doing stero recordings digitally for a couple years, it's the Digital mixing and multitracking that I'm new at). I've also got a stand alone CD burner, which I'll always use to give friends and students CDs.
I have a question which probably belongs in the Mic forum, but I'll post it here too. The Tascam mixer has 4 XLR and the rest of the channels have 1/4" jacks. When I go over 4 mics, which would sound better: Using an XLR adapter into the 1/4" jacks, or using an analog mixer w/ XLR jacks, then make those aux sends into the Tascam. Simply put, is it better to put it through the adapter or an analog mixer? I would think the adapter puts the signal through more directly, but I haven't heard the best things about XLR adapters.
Thanks again.

Ive done it both ways... If you need PHANTOM POWER... you'll need another mixer, one with phantom power... or some nice pre-amps of another variety. Most analog mixers you come across WONT have very good sounding preamps.. so I would avoid them if you dont need phantom power. And I did the pepsi challenge on a Shure 58 straight into an XLR jack on the TMD, and in channel 5 via a XLR->1/4" converter... and found no discernable difference. You should do the same.

xoxo

I agree, if you are using dynamic mics like Shure SM-58's just buy 4 XLR mic transformer/adaptors. Using a second mixer would work but it would introduce more noise and hum, and cost more (unless you already own that too).

Bath,
You'll have a better system if you get a second harddrive for recording. When the PC is recording audio, it doesn't like jumping over other file fragments. Go to price watch.com and get the best price. Your internal cable already has a connector for the new hd, if it's like most PCs.
Also, another reason for getting a preamp, is for signal processing - compression, reverb, enhancers etc. I guess Behringer(sp) makes an inexpensive tube preamp. I have a JoeMeek unit that is more expensive.
Chuck

Back