PC + Mbox + USB external hard drive = ?

washingtonbc

Hello-

I've got a 2 year old suped up Gateway, 1 gig Ram, an Mbox, protools 6.9 + the last update before version 7, and a Seagate external hard drive that is USB 2.0. I think this is more than good. But, there are some that say that I should ditch the USB external and get a firewire card/jack for the computer and a firewire external hard drive. Things seem cool so far....anyone have experience with anything like this? I mostly record onto a Yamaha AW16G and import wav files to protools to mix/edit into my Alesis Masterlink. $ really isn't an issue, but I don't want to waste it. Would I really notice a difference with the firewire stuff?

Thanks for your time!

BC

Firewire can handle more sustained throughput than USB2. USB2 has faster burst speeds than firewire. In audio applications, sustained throughput is what matters.

Since you already have the USB2 drive, I would give it shot and see if it is a problem for you. It may just be fine for your applications. Are you using high track counts, high edit density? That is where the Firewire drive will shine. If your session don't have a lot of tracks, you might be just fine.

Back