PC info that could help/hurt recordings

gospel

I haven't been able to do anything lately other than record on the MR-8. I couldn't transfer anything to the PC for mixing in n-track because of some kind of spyware that downloaded itself onto my computer. It probably rode piggyback on some free software that I downloaded. I luckily bought McAfee Internet Security today for $20 (regular $60) and, not only solved all my problems, but identified the spyware. So to maybe help some of you others and maybe even get some feedback from those who are more computer literate than myself I will list all of the known programs and problems.

Memory Meter- a fake meter that sits in your taskbar that is actually spyware.
Ncase- adware program that will throw pop up after pop up and will try to connect to the internet constantly even if you don't want to (try working on something in n-track when your computer is constantly trying to connect to the internet). The program is msbb.exe.
When I find out more I will list it.

Thanks for the heads up Gospel, so far so good here though with respect to the spyware. That pop-up stuff would have me searching for a window to heave my computer through!

bd

You'll know if you got this. It was like some kind of living thing. While I was installing the McAfee the ncase thing acted like it was going into some kind of fit and 52 pop ups came up in the matter of seconds. Like it was some kind of wild animal trying to stay alive. It's dead now.

gospel said:
You'll know if you got this. It was like some kind of living thing. While I was installing the McAfee the ncase thing acted like it was going into some kind of fit and 52 pop ups came up in the matter of seconds. Like it was some kind of wild animal trying to stay alive. It's dead now.

LOL.... I can totally see that....:p

I still have a problem with something trying to dial up all the time. Until I fix it no n-track mixing. I don't know what is going on? Anyone know any good sites for troubleshooting computer problems.

Exactly what is the problem with the dial up? If you are under some company or anything, they should be able to help you with your problems. One thing I like to mention for people to download is Ad-Aware. It's shareware, but for the trial, it does a REALLY good job at keeping your computer free of spyware, cydoor, etc. Just run it every few days or so.

Enrique said:
Exactly what is the problem with the dial up? If you are under some company or anything, they should be able to help you with your problems. One thing I like to mention for people to download is Ad-Aware. It's shareware, but for the trial, it does a REALLY good job at keeping your computer free of spyware, cydoor, etc. Just run it every few days or so.

I appreciate the advice enrique, but adaware will not detect this. That is one of the big problems about it. However, they will be adding it soon. I did find cexx.org a message board devoted to getting rid of spyware. I started a thread and got a response. I was told to download a program called "hijack this" and run a scan and then post the scan log file. I did all this and the following programs were detected and have been "fixed" and it seems my problems are over for the time being. Most of the programs listed cannot be detected by adaware or spybot.

stcloader.exe
tvtmd.exe
qlv.exe
RdxIE2.cab
memorymeter.cab

On the cexx site they say that this has just been around since March 03 so if you don't have it now, it's coming. Maybe this will help someone in the future. If your computer starts acting weird or has some of the symptoms I've mentioned, you might want to run a search for the above files.

Gospel,
The problem with your dial-up could be that the virus or spyware has infected the server too. I dunno, just a thought.

bd

Thanks bd, but I have fixed the dial-up part now. Had nothing to do with the server. It had to do with one of the above mentioned programs.

Just about every computer that is connected to the Internet has spyware on it. A couple of good programs to fight it are AdAware and Spybot. Google for them, you'll be amazed at the junk that is spying on you.

Thanks a lot Chris. But, look a couple of posts up and you will see a list of programs that they don't detect yet. Those are what I had. If you have them you will know it.

Back